Drill guide question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm installing a new lockset on the main entry door of the house. I need to drill 2 new through holes, one for a mounting screw and one for the interior turnpiece. I'm changing out an old Baldwin piece for a new one.

Question is how to ensure I drill the hole square/perpedicular to the door. I prefer to drill the hole with the door on its hinges, because the beast is solid mahogany and it ain't light. ;)

Am I making much ado about nothing? On one hand I want the holes to be perfectly square to the door surface. On the other hand, no one will see the holes, and if I mess up a little bit, I can make them a tad bigger and it really won't matter as far as I can see.

Another question on which drill bit to use. One hole is 5/16" and the other is 5/8". Which bit is best for this - forstner, spade or regular twist drill? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A forstner bit is nice, but overkill. On mahogany, I wouldn't use a spade bit. A spur point bit or a twist drill (if sharp) would work. If you clamp a piece of plywood over where you want to drill, you should minimize chips. A forstner bit is nice, but you can burn one up if you aren't keeping it even and loading up one point. It would be a waste to ruin one. Drill a pilot hole through using a smaller bit,and use the bigger one from both sides to prevent chips.

A small square held up near the bit helps you keep things level and square. It helps to have a a second person to judge the other orientations.

Prashster

Reaction score
You can rent a clamp on drill guide for a hand drill that will set the angle perfectly. There are also a million door lockset jigs out there. I gotta believe you can find one at some rental center.

Last edited:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Well I got the job done. I used the drill guide for two of the three holes. It worked pretty good, but in retrospect I probably could have done without it.

I used a brad point drill, and a forstner bit to drill the holes. Both worked great.

Here's a couple pics of the setup. I used 2 bar clamps to clamp the guide to the door.

Attachments

• drill_guide1.jpg
    drill_guide1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 242
  • drill_guide2.jpg
    drill_guide2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 225
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks