(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Should be easy but can't find one anywhere. . .

  1. #1

    Default Should be easy but can't find one anywhere. . .

    Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'd like to add the ability to use a hand shower to our whirlpool tub. The current spout has a circular piece of metal which contains a washer and screen (similiar to that on a kitchen faucet. Is there a company that sells a diverter that will will thread into the female faucet hole and allow one to hook up a hand shower? I've seen them for showers but they are normally they just screw on to the existing shower head.

    Sorry I don't know the "technical terms" for plumbing fixtures which might explain my inability to find what I"m looking for.

    Thank You

  2. #2


    Sorry but I dont think you will find such an item.The problem is that while a shower arm is the very common 1/2" pipe thread and all kinds of fittings are made that size,faucet aerators (the circular device with screen you describe) come in all kinds of oddball sizes and threads.For example,a lot of kitchen and lav faucet aerators are 55/64" with 27 thread.And there are several other sizes,depending on the faucet manufacturer and model.With roman tub spouts (I'll assume you have a deck mount faucet) there are no standards at all for aerators.
    I'll suggest you should look into replacing your tub valve with a new one that includes a transfer valve for the handshower.(And a vacuum breaker,as there would be backflow considerations here too.) You'll need another hole drilled in your tub deck,but assuming your tub has access panels,its a pretty simple job.

  3. #3


    There are tub spouts that have the correct fitting to hook up a hand held shower. Here is a picture of one:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Default spout

    They appear to be describing a deck mount, gooseneck spout which that one will not replace. The only way to do it with a deck mount is to mount a diverter valve on the deck and repipe the valve.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts