PVC Pipe Roof Vent Leak Onto Ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

DMD1991

Reaction score
I noticed some water stains on the ceiling of my bathroom - I went up to our attic and saw that the stains were directly below the PVC pipe roof vent tubes...I put a tray below the "elbow" of the tube and noticed that indeed after rain storms, water did accumulate. I couldn't find any noticeable cracks in the tube (house is only 10 years old) but did feel wetness on the bottom of the elbow...I am at a loss as to what to do? Should I replace the "elbow" or provide some sealant around the bottom of the "elbow" and all PVC tube connections?

I greatly appreciate any help....Thx

Prashster

Reaction score
It's unlikely it's a bad joint. Even a dry-fitted vent run probably won't leak; there isn't enough pressure or volume of water in there (even in a storm). My guess is the leak is coming from the flashing around the vent pipe exit in the roof - not from a defective coupling. The water might be running down the outside of the pipe and dripping off the el. Can you gingerly use a ladder or an extension pole and rag to detect moisture on the underside of the hole?

If the problem is the flashing, then you need to fix it from the roof (read, HAVE A PRO DO IT; DON'T GO SHEMANGLING UP ON THE ROOF YRSELF). If you just caulk the underside of the exit hole attc-side, then water can enter the roof sheathing from above and potentially rot yr roof.

If the problem is a leaky el, then the right thing is to cut it out and replace it. However, if it were me, I'd first caulk the seams of the el. and see how that holds up. Since there's no pressure in the vent pipe, caulk (silicone) will probably suffice.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience :( that a dry-fit joint at a downward-turning ell will leak during a rainstorm. It's really easy to fix, though :) . Odds are slim that it would pass the pressure test, though, so that's probably not your problem, although a poorly fit joint could fail after 10 years of flexing in an attic.

Having said that, do be certain that the water isn't simply choosing to drip off at the elbow, having come down from somewhere higher. If it just started leaking after 10 years, I'm with prashter -- check the flashing around the vent pipe where it exits the roof.

I spent some quality time shemangling on the roof yesterday cleaning things up for Ernesto, and glopped a bunch of roof cement on several suspect joints. Cheap insurance.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
tar pitch

just go buy yourself a gallon of black roof tar cement... $5 bucks

go uop on the roof , (if you are capable) and take the

tar pitch and a nice --wide putty knife and simply apply a heavy

and generous amount of that tar all around where the pvc pipe comes out

through the roof I suggest you smear it on all the exposed flashing and

make it all black.......

just seal up over that neopreme with the tar and no one will be

the wiser from the ground.....unless you make a total mess of it....

it applies rather well and will harden up ok.....

good for about 35 years....

I doubt that the elbow inside the ceiling is leaking

but if it is you can do the same on a dry day with silicone

to that elbow without takeing it all apart and messing up

that seal through the roof....

good luck and have fun......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks