replacing stand up shower with bathtub?

Users who are viewing this thread

y2kh8r

Reaction score
Hi

My master bathroom has a stand up shower, and there's a big empty space next to it- I think it was a water closet at one time, but has been sealed off. I was having "moisture" issues , so I opened up the wall there to look inside, and it's a big, empty room... I can post some pictures, if this helps...

So, it's big enough to put a bathtub in if I knock out the wall. I'll have to move the pipes a little to do this. .. they come up out of the foundation, and down from the attic... right in front of where the tub would go, between the toilet and where the tub would go.

So , does this sound like a good idea, that could be pulled off with a little help ? Or should I just seal the wall back up and let it be?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go for it...getting the drain and vent in is the harder thing, but not insurmountable. When I remodeled my bathroom, I was able to put in a 6' tub (wish I had room for a 7' one!), which is quite pleasant to relax in.

scatkins

Reaction score
Only bad thing about doing this is that technically you just turned your Full bath into a 3/4 bath (since you removed the shower).

So think hard about this since when you go to sell it will need to be listed this way and could potentially have an economic impact.

In my case, I installed a Whirlpool in what was my combo shower/bath and since a whirlpool it doesn't really lend itself being used in conjunction with a shower. I ended up building a stand alone shower as well (with some wall and drain restructuring).

The other thing you might consider doing is installing a diverter (or seperate valve) and a ceiling rain head. That way when you go to sell you can simply put up a shower curtain and retain the full bath.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks