Hire a pro or install my own shower/tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

AmyDIY

Reaction score
Hi! Thank you so much to all the folks who take the time to post here. I've used a *lot* of this advice already with great results.

I'm remodeling my house, and learning how to do basically everything along the way. I'm very handy and a quick learner, but I don't want to end up with crappy results, or something that I'll just need to pay someone else to fix later. So, here are my questions:

How hard is it to replace an old fiberglass tub/surround with a new one? Some of the posts here make it sound a little intimidating, and I know that plumbers have a LOT of knowledge that I won't get from reading Plumbing for Dummies. Can a total amateur (with the help of my non-plumber dad) do this?

Unfortunately, money is also an issue. Can I do some part of the removal or installation myself to save money, and pay a professional to take care of the parts that could lead to future disaster if I did them myself? Any suggestions about roughly how much a tub removal and install might cost?

I was quoted $1100 to refinish my existing tub...so I'd like to spend less than that on a new tub plus the cost of removal/installation. Is this remotely realistic? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Amy

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Refinishing of tubs is widely done, but has a mixed reputation for durability. At best, it may look good for the duration of whatever warranty they give you....1 to 3 years typically.

To remove your old one piece unit, you will need to cut it up with a sawzall. You cannot get a new one piece unit in. They make "remodel" units where the wall unit is 1,2 or 3 pieces, separate from the tub. If you will do all the labor yourself, consider a tub and then ceramic tiles for the wall. Material cost is not excessive. Just more work. For help with a tile job ( you want to do this right, because you want it to last 20 years) see the tile forum www.johnbridge.com. They are very helpful.

Whichever way you go, be sure to replace the tub/shower valve now. For a moderate expenditure, you want to start all new, because, again, this shower should have a 20+ year life expectancy, so don't start out with an old valve. Replacing it later is major work. Even if you are not comfortable with this plumbing job, once you demo the old tub/shower, it would not cost a ton to have a plumber come in and rough in a new valve.

AmyDIY

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thanks very much for your advice. My dad and I took the old tub out today...as opposed to being intimidating, it was really fun! Nothing like a little destruction :) I'm looking forward to putting in a new tub. Thanks again!

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
DIY,
From here it is a question of money. You probably wanna replace the plumbing which is gonna cost probably right at $500. labor included. Pick a tub,then get a cultured marble surround. I am biased along this line. lol It is three panels siliconed to the tub.Attractive and available in a multitude of colors. Have them install it,should be a two three hour job. Run right at 13-14 bux a sft depending on how high you go with the surround. Tile is okay but requires maintenance. All you do with marble is use a clean shower type product and a squeegee.
TMG

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The Marble Guy said:
DIY,
From here it is a question of money. You probably wanna replace the plumbing which is gonna cost probably right at $500. labor included. Pick a tub,then get a cultured marble surround. I am biased along this line. lol It is three panels siliconed to the tub.Attractive and available in a multitude of colors. Have them install it,should be a two three hour job. Run right at 13-14 bux a sft depending on how high you go with the surround. Tile is okay but requires maintenance. All you do with marble is use a clean shower type product and a squeegee.
TMG

I think that's a great point -- cultured marble sounds like a good alternative.

Fiberglass seems to hold dirt with a death grip, especially if it gets scratched, and I for one don't like the constant maintenance of trying to keep tile grout lines clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks