enclose showerstall w/tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

juliemg54

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this has ever been done, is practical, or out of the question...
I just have a shower stall (with curtain) for clean-up. It already has a molded seat built in. I've been thinkin about closing off the front lower 1/2 somehow to turn it into a tub as well. It seems like it would be simple enough to do, but any comments, tips, tricks are welcomed. It'd be nice if I could include a door to convert into a "walk-in tub" (kinda like the ones advertised for senior citizens, etc. on TV). Low on fund$, so economical means is best.
Thanxz much!:confused:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There was a similar thread recently regarding someone wanting to cut out a section of a tub and replacing it with a leak-proof door. Consensus was to just buy a handicap tub.

In your case, the best thing would be to build a little wooden wall and covering it with some sort of waterproof material like tub surround or fiberglass. Or, you can build the wall out of a thick sheet of plastic or even glass, like you might find in one of those sliding shower doors. A fancier wall could be made from glass bricks. Regardless of the material, you would then need to make it leak-proof by using silicone caulk at the seams.

Making a leak-proof door is possible, but would be a much more difficult job.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I say go for it! The worst thing that can happen is that it leaks and you have to tear it back out.

Check out Habitat for Humanity's Restore. They may have something that will fit just right that you can caulk in place.
Maybe they have an old vinyl tub, like they use in trailers and RV's. You could cut out a section and use that for a wall.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks