Noisy hot water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

nickyg

Reaction score
Here is the background: I have a submerged well pump in the backyard. The well pump sends water to a small pressure tank and through the house. The pressure tank is set to 30/50.

Our entire system makes loud banging noises throughout the day, both when water is being used and also when it is not being used. The banging noises are coming from inside the hot water tank and seem to happen when the pressure is at its lowest. Right before the pump kicks on the hot water tank starts banging.... sometimes they are rapid bangs one after another. Is that my bladder bottoming out?? Is there a quick fix for this problem?

Please help, thanks in advance. I love this website!!!!!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

Does sound like the bladder tank is bottoming out. You need less air in the tank than the lowest pressure you see on the gauge when using water or the pump starts.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You could have a defective check valve also. When the spring goes bad or the oring comes out of the poppett, this can happen. Do you have a check valve by your tank?

bob...

nickyg

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by checkvalve. There is a bicycle type valve at the top of the tank for changing the air pressure. Do you think that is defective?? Leaking??

The previous post said that the air pressure in my tank may be too high. Now I am confused...

What can I do to fix the problem?

Speedbump

Reaction score
No a check valve is usually brass, sometimes plastic (if homeowner installed). It looks like a big coupling, will have an arrow on it somewhere pointing in the direction of your home.

bob...

nickyg

Reaction score
No I do not see a check valve anywhere. Please someone help......

Speedbump

Reaction score
Do you have a tire gauge?

If so, turn off the pump, open a faucet until the water stops, check the air pressure in the tank from that little bicycle stem on top of the tank. Then turn the pump back on and check what the turn on and off pressures are on the gauge.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Two pounds less than the turn on pressure of your pump.

I was actually hoping you would answer a question before asking more.

bob...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pressure will change when the system is operational, so you must check and adjust, if necessary, when there is no water pressure in the system - pump off, faucet opened and flow stopped (i.e., the bladder has expanded as much as it can and is no longer being affected by the stored energy from the pump). The static pressure should be 2# less than the turn-on pump pressure.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
And if you don't drain the tank before checking, you don't get the correct *volume* of air in the tank, although you get the right air pressure. Especially if the tank is in a basement and the faucet you opened is upstairs. That (insufficient volume) is the primary cause of tank (bladder) failure. Now if you leave that faucet open... you'll probably forget it is open when you turn the water on later.... :)

The best is to shut off the water to the house, past the tank, and drain the pressure tank. Thereby you drain the tank of crud and you should flush it at the same time...three birds, one stone; if'nyou youngins understand the phrase.

nickyg

Reaction score
what type of equipment will i need to check the air pressure in the tank? What will I need to change the pressure in the tank?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tire pressure gauge and a bicycle pump or a compressor. It's just like a tire valve without the rubber stem. The bladder is a big flexible bag of air.

If you happen to get water out of the valve when checking...the bladder is probably shot...you might need to replace the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks