Tankless water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

sly001

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a tankless water heater any comments? good/bad thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They are common in other parts of the world. They don't take as many long hot showers or fill whirlpools anywhere as often, either :) .

Often, in order to ensure it can raise the temp, they install a flow restrictor. The water can't go through the thing "too fast", or it doesn't have enough time to heat, thus the restrictor. While they don't take much of any power while idle (maybe a few watts in standby), they take significant energy when running. If electric, expect to possibly have to upgrade your service (maybe not, but don't be surprised). If gas, you'll want to probably direct vent it to the outside for intake and exhaust, or you will need a quite large area to ensure you have enough combustion air.

If you live where the incoming source water is below 50 degrees (how most of them are spec'ed for output), then it may not reach the desired temperature and volume. Last winter, my incoming water was in the low 30's, yours could easily differ significantly. If the anticipated use is within the units capabilities, it will probably work out. Just make sure you read and understand the specs and know what you really need it to do. Take into account the quantity of fixtures you anticipate running at any one time, and either live with the flow, or buy a bigger one, or accept that the water doesn't get as hot.

Kavita

Reaction score
Rinnai Continuum

i've got a Rinnai Continuum propane H20 heater and i am pleased with it.
initially expensive, yes. possibly paying more for the Rinnai name.

however, i wanted a tankless that would handle major-load hot water demand, and it does this very well.

i live in southern vermont and don't have any complaints about the temp of the water, any season.

if you're budgeting for one, know that the Rinnai requires 3/4" pipe for the supply coming in from the water source and leaving the unit - not 1/2" - so you may have to upgrade your plumbing in that way (i did ... again, an initial set-up expense).

i researched this purchase a lot before choosing the Continuum. talked to a number of folks who own them in the northeastern US. i'm glad i purchased it, and i also know it wasn't an inexpensive choice in the short run. over time, it more than pays for itself.

good luck!

sly001

Reaction score
I have checked with a local plumber and the water temp is fine. your right about the cost. but it will be worth it. I don't have to upgrade any plumbing. but the only problem might be I can't use the shower and the washing machine at the same time. but I can't now with my current system. he also suggested that I might want to think about a instant hot system for the kitchen. I think it is a preheater for the kitchen water due to the space between the water heater and the kitchen sink, any ideas?

mainer

Reaction score
I used a Monitor water heater for several years and really liked it. If you only use one appliance (showers, dishwasher, washing machine, etc) at a time they are great. If you shower while using another appliance, you may not get as much hot water as you like.

The other thing that is really important is to make sure that you have no sediment in your water. If you are on city water this should not be a problem. However if you have a well that brings up any sediment, then you must filter your water, else the impeller that senses water flow and triggers the burner may get stuck.

~paul

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tankless

A plumbing magazine just did an exhaustive test of tankless versus tank type. The best tankless only cost $50.00 per year more than the worst tank type. And that was only if a vinegar solution was circulated through the tankless for about an hour each month to decalicify it. Their conclusion was that a tankless heater in a residential situation would never recover the difference in the initial installation costs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks