Removing push-on stops on hard copper

Users who are viewing this thread

rmccolley

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove a push-on stop from hard 1/2" copper. This valve is a push-on connection with a push-odd pull-on control with an intergral supply line. The connection to the valve body has started to develop a leak. Ihave tried rotating the valve while pulling on it to no avail. The valve is mounted very close to the wall which precludes cutting it off and replacing with a compression valve without opeing up the wall and replacing some of the pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This sounds to me like it is soldered on. If that is so, then there are just two ways to remove it. Cut it off or heat the joint to meld the solder.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Pull and rotate harder, they will walk off eventually.

Those stops are something that should've never left the engineers desk.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stops

If they do not eventually pull off by twisting while pulling them, then I would use a heated tool to melt the plastic so I could remove the barbed ring holding them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks