I hear a drip in the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Would we need to fill the entire space back there?

No. Ideally, you would find where the pipe(s) are rattling against each other or the framing. The separate them a little bit with a small shim. Then squirt the foam in the gap, which will fill the gap and prevent the shim from shifting around or falling out.

Verdeboy raises a good point. Pipes don't rattle just for the hell of it. Usually the rattle is caused by a flow of water suddenly stopping, and 99% of the time (unverified statistic) it's caused by a leaky toilet. When the water drops enough to open the fill valve, water flows to fill the tank, but when the float rises and shuts off the flow, the water stops suddenly. The momentum of water moving throughout the system, and suddenly stopping, moves pipes and can make a noise.

An easy way to see if you've got a leaky toilet: put some food coloring in the tank and come by a while later and see if there's any color in the bowl. If there is, you've got a leak. Turn off the valve at the base of the toilet and see if your mysterious noises go away. If so, repairing the toilet is a lot easier than masking the noise, and will save you $$ on your water bill. You could also simulate the problem by pushing the float down to start water flowing, then release it so the water stops suddenly. See if that causes the noise.

Prashster

Reaction score
I wouldn't use any kind of expanding product behind a closed wall. It's hard to control and you'd be stabbing in the dark with that.
Judging by your level of exasperation with this, perhaps it's time to call in a pro to diagnose. I bet they'll be able to tell you the problem just by hearing it.

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
Tighten the screws holding the fitting to the backerboard. There should be three screws holding it. If you have enough room that is.

TMG

carolbil

Reaction score
No, it was never a rattle, always a drip sound...or at least it sounded like a very loud drip to me. Wasn't a drip at all though, it was the pipe behind the shower wall tapping against the wall itself. And it wasn't only after a shower in that particular bathroom, it would happen after a shower in the other bathroom too, which is on the other side of the hallway. My husband did go ahead and use the foam, which worked great by the way, pipes aren't hitting the wall behind the shower anymore......instead the sound just moved to another pipe. Well, to make a long story short, hubby went down the basement and found that quite a few of the pipes were able to move a bit, so he figured that even if he could stop the noise in one spot, it would just travel to another, which is what was happening. So he spent some time down there securing the pipes so none of them move....which also means I don't hear any noises anymore.
You guys have been such a help to us, and we appreciate it more than you know. Thank-you :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
T'was probably the hot water pipe that supplied both bathrooms, so it didn't matter which one was run. The pipe expands when hot water goes through it, and then contracts after you shut it off. If it can rub on something, it can make noises.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Did we ever determine whether the pipe was copper or otherwise? I was amazed when I saw how much CPVC expanded with temperature.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If your kitchen sink drain drains to the same stack as the bathrooms and you have PVC plumbing and run hot water, the ticking sound will show up.

That's what I hear you say. No easy to fix........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks