How to reduce my KWH usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

ffmedic7

Reaction score
My first post, please excuse my newby status.
I have a deep well (225') with a 1hp submersable pump that is 24 yrs old. 4 years ago I added a 1500 gal storage tank that was given to me free. I also added a 3/4 hp jacuzzi booster pump pressurizing a 40 gal bladder tank. I like having the 1500 gals for emergency backup if power fails (which is rare), but it seems that I am really paying for it with the booster pump.

1. Is there a more efficient way do run my setup (no large hills for gravity feed)?

2. I know I will need to replace my well pump, is it safe to assume a newer pump will be more efficient?

3. Should I add an additional pressure tank, or go with one of those constant pressure pumps with the small tanks on top?

Thanks for all the great advise given on this board!

Matt

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you put the well pump discharge into the 1500 gallon tank, you wasted a lot of energy from a pump that was designed to pump to your pressure tank.

Consider getting rid of the booster and just using the well pump to pump into your pressure tank. You can fill the 1500 gallon tank just for emergencies, and keep the booster around. Run it 15 minutes every week to keep it working.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffmedic7

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. That makes alot of sense. I will consider replumbing it that way when I buy a new well pump. I want to do that before it dies (24yrs seems like a good life for a submersible eh?)

Matt

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Wouldn't just storing the 1500 gallons for emergencies cause evil things to grow in the tank? Maybe a shot of chlorine or don't do it that way.

ffmedic7

Reaction score
I would definetly expect to treat it with chlorine, and maybe more? I do have a hot tub for water to flush with, and should have a week of bottled drinking water on hand. I could probably do without the tank, but it's there, and plumbed in so, I might as well just keep it as backup.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you have a 4 inch well with a pump that has lasted that long, you may find it won't come out. It may be part of the casing by now.

bob...

ffmedic7

Reaction score
speedbump said:
If you have a 4 inch well with a pump that has lasted that long, you may find it won't come out. It may be part of the casing by now.

bob...

Wouldn't that be special! :eek:

ffmedic7

Reaction score
Now that is some interesting advise. As I am not planning on buying a new pressure tank, only a new well pump (which you suggest running untill death), I can't see the benefit in purchasing a CSV other than extending pump life. I guess I should consider buying one?

As I do alot of landscape irrigation, I really have no idea of what my water use is, nor my gpm of my pump, I am somewhat in the dark. But I have read some conflicting info here on the use of CSV's. Am I correct? I do know that I have a very inefficient system...this morning with the sprinklers on I was drawing 3500 watts on my meter with both pumps running!

Thanks for all the great discussion...I'm learning alot!

Matt

Speedbump

Reaction score
Here in Florida people have wells for their home, their irrigation and ground water heat pumps as they used to be called.

So the well driller installs the well, puts in a pump that will not only take care of the home but one that will run the irrigation and the ground water heat pump to be known as gwhp from now on, not to mention the shower.

The home can get along easily on 10 gpm for showers, dishes, washing machine, backwashing the softener etc. The gwhp is a 5 ton unit and needs at least 12.5 gpm all the time it is running. The sprinklers are wetting down an acre and a half, so we need 23 gallons per minute for each zone that has rotors. And 7 gpm for the flower beds that have only spray heads. So let's see, we will be needing anywhere from 2.5 gpm for the shower to 45.5 gpm if all three needs happen at the same time or somewhere in between if only part of the needs happen at the same time.

Lets see someone design the right pump and tank for this job.

Believe it or not, the CSV will take care of the entire system.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks