Is there a class action lawsuit against Kitec piping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just sent the link to Ipex for comment.

It's only fair that they know what is being posted here so they can comment.
I myself, have no personal experience with the product, I use another brand that my local supplier carries.

Mahybar

Reaction score
Class Action against Kitec

I jst found out through the mail that I am involved in a Class Action lawsuit against Kitec. There are about 35,000 - 50,000 homes in Las Vegas that are affected by this defect of Kitec. The website is plumbingdefect.com.

Maggie M

Reaction score
Are you kidding? There is a massive class action lawsuit filed against not only IPEX, manufacturers of KITEC but also agains all of the plumbers in our area (Clark County, NV) inb addition to that the plumbing wholesalers have also been named in the suit. There are aproximately 2500 homes involved just in my development alone plus another 50,000 homes with Kitec plumbing in the Las Vegas Valley alone.

Personally I have not had any problems (knock wood) as yet. There have been only a few homes in our development that have had a problem, but some of the houses are only 2 years old. The developer switched to a different system in late 2004 so none of the additional 3,000 homes built have them same plumbing systems.

My daughter who lives in another area of this valley actually had a major break and water literally poured down 20+ feet of entry tile. The first and all subsequent plumbers they called all said the same thing: "won't touch it because it is KITEC and there are too many liabilities".

The good news for us is that our builder (Pulte) is offering a settlement, but their are other implications in accepting the settlement. Our daughter just has to wait it out too see what happens. Her builder did fix her plumbing but did not replace anything, she and her husband are waiting to see what happens because the quote to replumb her house was $30,000.

Maggie M

Reaction score
There is a massive class action lawsuit filed against not only IPEX, manufacturers of KITEC but also against several of the plumbers in the Las Vegas area, (including Cox & Sons) in addition to that the plumbing wholesalers have also been named in the suit. There are aproximately 2500 homes involved just in my development alone plus another 50,000 homes with Kitec plumbing in the Las Vegas Valley alone.

Personally I have not had any problems (knock wood) as yet. There have been only a few homes in our development that have had a problem, but some of the houses are only 2 years old. The developer switched to a different system in late 2004 so none of the additional 3,000 homes built have them same plumbing systems.

My daughter who lives in another area of this valley actually had a major break and water literally poured down 20+ feet of entry tile. The first and all subsequent plumbers they called all said the same thing: "won't touch it because it is KITEC and there are too many liabilities".

The good news for us is that our builder (Pulte) is offering a settlement, but their are other implications in accepting the settlement. Our daughter just has to wait it out too see what happens. Her builder did fix her plumbing but did not replace anything, she and her husband are waiting to see what happens because the quote to replumb her house was $30,000.[/QUOTE]

crimsonfyre

Reaction score
kitec lawsuit

This is the first i've learned of the lawsuit, i'm curious about the lawsuit. it doesnt really say if the fittings are red or yellow brass. I'm assuming most of the problem is inside so it would be yellow brass.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I think it has to do with more than just the pipe. It has to do with

dismantling the plumbing system.......which involves no water lines for a number of days, it would be a matter of hours if you are dumb enough to put that kind of pipe back in.

Walls will be opened, new holes have to be drilled because I'm sure the owners want NOTHING of the same going back in.

All walls/ceilings/trim/wallpaper/demolition costs/materials to put back I believe is in those equations.

And if mold is found.......forget it.......the number isn't high enough.

It's okay for plumbers on forums boards to know the baskinrobbins 31 flavors of PEX piping and what crimp rings go with what and which ones are no longer made but

take into consideration that the average homeowner doesn't, and that is a fact. So aaaaaaaaaaaallllll these plumbers promising fast and easy and saves the homeowner money........this very thread along with a growing number of pex piping issues stemming from its growing use indicates that the coming years will definitely enforce why some are still skeptical of its use.

It's okay to use this piping unless you are a victim of its problems...at least that is what a majority of these plumbers are spouting off these days. Count me out in the majority of opinion.

Even though this particular piping doesn't have issues with the piping itself YET, it's the fittings that failed (PB ring a bell?)

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
RUGGED said:
I think it has to do with more than just the pipe. It has to do with dismantling the plumbing system.......which involves no water lines for a number of days, it would be a matter of hours if you are dumb enough to put that kind of pipe back in.

In the pictures in this thread and on the web sites shown, there is absolutely no evidence of any failure of the pipe/tubing; only the fittings and they are said to have a manufacturing defect.

Additionally, IMO the type tubing used (containing aluminum) was meant for hydronic heat systems, not potable water lines but I may be wrong on that. The aluminum in contact with the brass is said to have caused the corrosion leading to that failure. I see A LOT of corrosion in the cut away pictures, and it looks like hardness scale rather than dissimilar metals corrosion build up. Las Vegas has some very hard water.

So blaming the pipe is ridiculous, misguided and based on unfounded fears of the uninformed.

Also, this problem seems to be in a limited area; at least I don't think the problem is national. Unlike pinhole in copper tubing caused water damage that is nationwide except for limited areas and really has no solution other than a total replumb of the building.

Downhome

Reaction score
Kitec Las Vegas

I too have been receiving information by mail regarding this lawsuit. What I don't know is whether or not my home actually has this defect or how to find out.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Gary Slusser said:
My attitude is like pinholes in copper.

Obie 1 Kinobie said:
Even though this particular piping doesn't have issues with the piping itself YET, it's the fittings that failed (PB ring a bell?)

Did you take the time to even read my reply?

Other than a driver's license......do have any license in the profession of plumbing to back up your analogies regarding piping systems?

Do you realize that whenever plastic piping fails ONCE AGAIN you are the first to defend it? You're predictable......and oh let's not forget NSF61....

copper pipe killing everyone and even though code approved and lasts 70 plus years AND COUNTING

Aren't you the same person in another thread stating that a PVC glue joint should have absolutely no none notta any excess glue?

Aren't you the same person that stated you never use fittings, you pull all the pipes into position?

You have not a word of sympathy for any of these poor homeowners who unknowingly became victimized by a piping system that can literally run into the millions.

You'd think by now you'd realize that plastic water line systems are plagued with repeated failures......class action lawsuits, property damage claims, financial strife to those who have no clue what they've embarked upon because the homeowner is unknowledgeable to the facts of certain products.....the cause and effects that can prove harmful to both life and checkbook.

I'm sorry............sorry my dog's water bowl is getting more activity than your website.......the idle time spending it with me trying to discredit is back to the reason why you are banned from so many websites for your ignorance.

You could learn a lot from GSchreiber, CWS VI (MN), the guy is in the same business as you, doesn't EVER follow your antics and the guy is a think tank. I have a TON of respect for him and his profession and all the members on all the sites enjoy his professionalism. A great asset.

He knows his product and that is why he's a longstanding member on numerous sites like myself, giving to others without reward.

Digging up bones with me will not get you back on those websites you was removed from mainly by the administrators, not me chump.

I'm sure you are just sore because since your intent is mainly to make money off others being here in forums, the loss of 7 websites = loss revenue.

Now back to my cheese puffs you interrrupted me from eating.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
RUGGED said:
Did you take the time to even read my reply?

Do you realize that whenever plastic piping fails ONCE AGAIN you are the first to defend it? You're predictable......and oh let's not forget NSF61....

You'd think by now you'd realize that plastic water line systems are plagued with repeated failures......class action lawsuits, property damage claims, financial strife to those who have no clue what they've embarked upon because the homeowner is unknowledgeable to the facts of certain products.....the cause and effects that can prove harmful to both life and checkbook.

I'm sorry............sorry my dog's water bowl is getting more activity than your website.......the idle time spending it with me trying to discredit is back to the reason why you are banned from so many websites for your ignorance.

You could learn a lot from GSchreiber, CWS VI (MN), the guy is in the same business as you, doesn't EVER follow your antics and the guy is a think tank. I have a TON of respect for him and his profession and all the members on all the sites enjoy his professionalism. A great asset.

He knows his product and that is why he's a longstanding member on numerous sites like myself, giving to others without reward.

Digging up bones with me will not get you back on those websites you was removed from mainly by the administrators, not me chump.

I'm sure you are just sore because since your intent is mainly to make money off others being here in forums, the loss of 7 websites = loss revenue.

Now back to my cheese puffs you interrrupted me from eating.

Yes I read your reply and replied to what you said and as usual, you go off emotionally and get personal but don't debate your position. And yes I commented on your wiping plastic cleaner on cement reply in another thread.

And here you go again... wrong as usual. Schreiber is the Mid-West US sales manager for Purolite (resins, he's there 25+ yrs), he doesn't sell equipment. He is an ex Culligan salesman (20 yrs). He rarely helps anyone troubleshoot their broken equipment or tells them anything other than to buy locally and to get more water tests done, but he knows resins.

Yeah my dinky web site only averages 1200 unique visitors per month. I still use phpBB2 while yours is busted and you went and formed another forum with a different software and it has NO traffic since what, Aug was it? I only sell at least one major piece of equipment every day of the month; that's about 20k per month at my prices. As of tonight I have a $5700+ month already while you eat cheese puffs and put on another 40 lbs and whine.

And since you got me banned from other forums as you now admit because I disagreed with you about your denying copper tubing and pinhole leaks, I have more free time and business continues to boom. So thank you, my wife really appreciates it.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Oh Gary

How did I know you was going to post your quarterly reports for me?

FYI, I don't own nor have any financial stakes in any forum website; just admin and moderate. I left the site you speak of months ago because the owner refused to switch to Vbulletin like I asked for.

Do a check on your member list on your site...along with any other phpbb forum base and you'll see that you have tons of spammers just dying to get on your boards and link out their product.

If it works in your head that you "think" I called the shots on your removal, go ahead. Still can't figure out why you think sites I wasn't even a member at (2 of them) had anything to do with me.

I gotta go,

I got other issues right now, issues about my new $59 microwave NOT cooking my corndogs fast enough. Priorities folks.......priorities.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
RUGGED said:
How did I know you was going to post your quarterly reports for me?

FYI, I don't own nor have any financial stakes in any forum website; just admin and moderate. I left the site you speak of months ago because the owner refused to switch to Vbulletin like I asked for.

Do a check on your member list on your site...along with any other phpbb forum base and you'll see that you have tons of spammers just dying to get on your boards and link out their product.

If it works in your head that you "think" I called the shots on your removal, go ahead. Still can't figure out why you think sites I wasn't even a member at (2 of them) had anything to do with me.

I gotta go,

I got other issues right now, issues about my new $59 microwave NOT cooking my corndogs fast enough. Priorities folks.......priorities.

Steve, it's all due to your superb smarts.

Along that topic, quarterly is three months, not monthly.

I think you pretend to be a service plumber too but at least you don't call yourself a Master plumber like you used to. It's guys like you that give plumbing a bad rap. Here's a sample of your plumbing and it took you FIVE HOURS!!! You owe those people a refund. Use the Next and Prev buttons to see all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Uh, I really wish

you would quit bringing up my hooked on phonics education. Shame on you~!

Thanks for putting that filter system picture up, I get a lot of site traffic when you do that. That was a hard job too since the customer had me installing that filter to a tee by the mfg. specs. He called them 4 times throughout the job.....part of the reason it took so long.

He even went as far as having a $500 high powered microscope taking samples of the outgoing water from the filter when I prewashed (mfg. specs) initially to remove debri.

I added some bells and whistles (valves and drains) so he could backwash that system as per required by the mfg.

Since you make me feel so warm and tingly with our ongoing love/hate relationship online,

I added some more pictures of water treatment installations. Please be my hunk of burning love hairy chest online inspector would you? :)

Plumb or Die

Plumbing Instructor
Reaction score
What a nightmare!

You seem to have a bunch of people dicking you around, and hoping you will just go away and eat all this expense yourself. You're problems are due to an improper install of a perfectly good piping product. I assume the plumbers that came over were hired by your insurance person or your realtor. Get a licenced plumbing contractor over to check this stuff out. A properly worded letter from him describing the improper installation will go a long way in court should you go down that road. And it will certainly get your insurane people or whoever to take notice. Don't take this laying down.
I personally helped out a fellow with a problem with a plumbing contractor that froze and burst a bunch of slab heating pipes. The letter I wrote for him helped out a lot when he sued the plumber for negligence. He had to jackhammer out and replace the whole slab in a 2000 sq/ft rancher he was building. Get the sleezebags!

PLC

Reaction score
Kitec Lawsuit

Downhome said:
I too have been receiving information by mail regarding this lawsuit. What I don't know is whether or not my home actually has this defect or how to find out.

I can vouch for the fact that there is a class action lawsuit against Clark County plumbers, IPEX, KITEC, etc. Copies of the suit are posted at "www.plumbingdefect.com", where you can sign up for an inspection by the law firm. At this site there is also information which will allow you to determine whether or not your house has KITEC fittings. Ours apparently does.

We have had a preliminary inspection and accepted an offer by Pulte to replumb the house. We are on the waiting list to get replumbed. It remains to be see whether that was a wise decision, but the alternative of waiting to see if the fittings ruptured is too much of a gamble.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If you type in the words

PEX
LAWSUITS
MTBE
KITEC

These threads are showing up in all the search engines....pulling discussions from web forums like these and others with all the lawsuits of these products coming to light. That is why this thread is generating new members of those "chiming in" to give info to others of what is going on. :teamwork: :thumbsup:

Back in 2005 I commented on this site about the "train wreck coming"...

The forums I've moderated over the years are showing that this product is making its way into peoples homes in leaps and bounds.

Those who are cheerleaders of these plastic piping systems:

What do you say to the victims of these different brands of PEX that are failing?

Don't talk about copper pinhole stories, talk about the facts......the subject of plastic pipe failures.

It's turning into property damage, insurance rate increases, people losing their homes to this stuff because "it's fast and easy" and you can make more money.

There are so many brands/styles/flavors of PEX that when someone gloats about a certain kind.....how do you expect the average homeowner going to buy a home what to look out for?

PEX LAWSUITS is becoming a popular search engine word phrase these days thanks to the failures associated with the fittings and pipe.

Isn't it true that Europe doesn't use chlorine levels similar to ours in the USA and THAT is the reason for some of the problems tied to this piping?

This thread alone is making some waves in the www so if you are going to defend its quality...

speak up and explain to all these homeowners (victims) why they should eat a hamburger from mcdonalds,

but definitely not a hamburger from wendy's.

In the mind of many, a hamburger is a hamburger and until one makes you sick, you just keep on eating them. < vegetarians need not to reply to this. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks