Is there a class action lawsuit against Kitec piping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone receiving damages, in a case like yours, for aggravation.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
complain to the insurance company

the peopel that were sent out are idiots and oron drugs...

they probably collected the $100 deductabe from you too...

they fed you a line of shit probably because they dont know how to

repair kitech in the first place...

call and get another plumber to come out there from the place....

call the place and ask for a manager in charge and tell them

your long story and you want a second opinion.

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
This is why I will never pay for a home warranty myself. AES keeps trying to get me to get set up, but I refuse. Why? Because if you read the fine print, they clearly state that they do not have to make things right for you, if they so choose. This escape clause is standard for just about any extended type warranty that you may purchase for any product. They could either refund you the money you paid, or they could offer you an amount much less than retail. These people are snakes.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
life is so unjust...

I work for a number of home warranty comapnies....

what they warranty for $395 per year is wear and tear...

we have generally found that they keep their word

and make repairs or change out heaters and plumbing

other problems one problem at at time.......

we change out a lot of heaters and disposals for a
$100 deductable....

hvac people make repairs and change out AC uint
all summmer long....

Most people dont complain when you change out their leaking 50 gallon gas power vent heater ($1200) for only $100. Thats a pretty good deal......

if you read the fine print it is wise to be in the house for at least 30 days before makeing a claim........

Its hard to believe but I have actually had people call me BEFORE they have ever moved into their used house and expected me to re-model the whole place for them cause they got this insurance!!

they get totally irate when I expalin to them what they
bought...

no they wont re-build your home from scratch...
even if it is falling down

for $395.

its only common sense folks....

you arent gonna get something for nothing.....

this fellow with the Kitec really does not have much of a problem at all

all he has to do it raise some hell
with the place and get another plumber out there
and the problem can be solved in 5 minutes....

or he can forgoe the waranty company and
call anyone in town and pay about $150

and have the damn thing repaired tomorrow

if he has been without water for two weeks
and hasnt raised holy hell its no ones fault but his

no body is gonna take up this fight for him

and the only compensation or satisfaction he can hope for
is to get the plumber that came out fired from the warranty copmpany

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Dont know??

I work for a whole lot of them

Cross country home services is the best one....

and its no big deal to me......been with them 15 years

they have a hard time finding honest plumbers.....
and once they know you arent going to bend them over
and slam it to them you do quite a lot of work....

usually most problems are covered by the $100 deductble

I go out all the time for $100.....service call....

usually when a disposal happens I get about $220 for one

customer pays 100 they pay 120.......

water heaters the same way.....

I get about 3 to 10 calls a week directly from their customer

and I have been doing it for so long that no questions are asked

when i call in my bills.....

paperwork can be a problem sometimes....

they presently owe me about 6 k and I am waiting for
the check.....

the check always eventually arrives and its never bounced yet....

its all good.....

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'd say that it is great for any company trying to make baseline income but AHS and that 2-10 home warranty company is notorious for excluding what normal occurrences are.

I used to work for a company that did all American Home Shield. I can't sit and trade phone calls back and forth to the company in the customer's home for like seems an eternity and catch what falls through the cracks.

It might make a buck but I love my customer base and it keeps growing all based on repeat business and word of mouth. Of course I keep my internet ties and other methods running as well but I don't need another company orchestrating my calls. AHS will make you think you have no life other than their customer base.....and you can't say no to thier customers; you have to "do em all" or you don't get the gravy.

If you have a company with numerous employees then it is worth it if you have patience to deal with it all. I'm running solo so I can't be committed to one avenue of customers. I have to keep that repeat customer happy for as long as I can.

AHS makes their rounds through the companies here in my area; all the plumbers walk away from them eventually with hair loss, having to take prozac.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
running solo

we basically do he work cause its there....

no advertiseing $$ needed to get it and they call me....

its not too much of a hassell and the calls seem to come

in when we are slow , so its a convienant arrangement

Now if I was running totally solo I would probably not be doing half

the work I presently do......just to pay the idiots

I have working for me...

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
Mark,

While I totally would agree that 400 bucks a year to ensure that all issues would be corrected seems like a decent price, I feel in the long run, for most people, it's not a good option. This company is in it for the money. You probably dont hear about the many times that AHS does not cover things as advertised. I personally know someone who had insane HVAC issue, that should have been covered, but wasn't. The guy had AHS for about 6 months in a 5 year old house that he purchased. The system failed, and AHS refused to fix the issue. They told him they would refund him the warranty premium and that it was well within their rights to do so. He got his money back, but any company that doesn't stand by what they advertise, is not doing something right. There are many reviews on the net, related to issues like that, and AHS finding excuses not to cover repairs.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
insurance companies

i work for cross country home services....

american home serivces I am not sure of.....

In my opinion , the policy can sell a house for you

and either way most of them are better

than nothign what so ever.....

got my check in the mail today for 5300.... whew....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Well.... I don't use the aluminum type pipe for water lines. It will be interesting to see wheat the cause was when the courts are fininshed. There seems to be nothing between KITEC and brass but between the brass and copper. The claim is to much zink in the brass reacting with the copper causing the problem. Maybe a bad batch from China.

Last edited:

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Kitec Piping

ultimach[/QUOTE said:
That piece of tubing in the pics you uploaded to us, look like it has been sqeezed with a pair of slip joint pliers (Channel Locks) and thereby damaged to where it would eventually leak. I doubt the installing plumber did this, but could be... actually it looks like some one tried using the pliers to hold back up when trying to tighten the nut showing in the first pic. The former owner may be liable for this damage.:mad:

Good Luck,
Rudy

Last edited by a moderator:

ultimachi

Reaction score
OhNoNevada said:
Here is the proper link:

www.plumbingdefect.com

Oh YES!!! Exactly what I've been waiting for. Couldn't have been better timing. The homeowners insurance is ready to settle, and the warranty company is avoiding my requests for action. I'm starting to get tired of this. Do I still have to hire a lawyer even though this lawsuit is in motion?

Anyway to find out if the previous owner would have known about the problem but not disclose it to me when I bought the house? Who do I need to contact? Thank you all for your help.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Fishy smell. Welcome to this web site.

i agree with Master plumber Mark, that this thread smells fishy. Welcome to the World's Friendliest Plumbing Shower and Remodeling web site, but still I find it hard to belive that the man named Ultimachi hasn't called Kitec or Ipex to talk to them, and then told us about it. The pictures are grainy, he hasn't described them, and we can't see in 3D what the problem might have been. When he said he had been without water for two weeks, it was more like six weeks since his first post when he already had the problem. He didn't say which city he is in; yet he would like to know about liability in real estate transactions (which varies based on local law). His description of what the Warranty compnay has said, is sketchy. His description of what the plumbers have said, is bare-bones. I find it hard to believe that a plumber would lie, or fabricate an answer, about what he can do when sent out by a firm that would track him later.

That'll be enough. For the record. :)

I hope the Kitec Ipex people, who are being blasted the most here, manage to get a word in somehow. The fittings that were recalled is a known issue that the firm faced up to readily, as far as I am aware.

If I'm too harsh, forgive me in advance; no warring please. PM me.

David

serge

Reaction score
? this is really really odd.....

:confused:

I just called Cox&Sons plumbing in Las Vegas and they don't know anything about this lawsuit......

There some rotten fish around here.

Davebirka-white

Reaction score
Website
www.birka-white.com
Kitec Piping

We are class action attorneys who specialize in defective building materials. We have extensive experience in defective plumbing pipe, specifically the ABS pipe cases involving 5 manufacurers. These cases took place over a period of 15 years and homeowners are still being paid under the class action settlements. We work closely with plumbing experts and materials experts and have for many years. If the homeowner who is having the problem with the Kitec pipe would like to discuss this problem further, we can be reached at www.birka-white.com or 415-616-9999.

ultimachi

Reaction score
geniescience said:
i agree with Master plumber Mark, that this thread smells fishy. Welcome to the World's Friendliest Plumbing Shower and Remodeling web site, but still I find it hard to belive that the man named Ultimachi hasn't called Kitec or Ipex to talk to them, and then told us about it. The pictures are grainy, he hasn't described them, and we can't see in 3D what the problem might have been. When he said he had been without water for two weeks, it was more like six weeks since his first post when he already had the problem. He didn't say which city he is in; yet he would like to know about liability in real estate transactions (which varies based on local law). His description of what the Warranty compnay has said, is sketchy. His description of what the plumbers have said, is bare-bones. I find it hard to believe that a plumber would lie, or fabricate an answer, about what he can do when sent out by a firm that would track him later.

That'll be enough. For the record. :)

I hope the Kitec Ipex people, who are being blasted the most here, manage to get a word in somehow. The fittings that were recalled is a known issue that the firm faced up to readily, as far as I am aware.

If I'm too harsh, forgive me in advance; no warring please. PM me.

David

I don't get it.....you think I would sign up on a plumbing site just to lie about my pipes busting? And a plumber wouldn't lie? Maybe not, but what it looks like is that none of them wanted anything to do with repairing this piping. They suggested a complete repiping of the whole house. To me it seems that they don't want to jeopardize their business by repairing faulty piping, which I totally understand. I'd be the same way.

Now I'm speaking to one of the attorneys handling this class action lawsuit. He's sending me all the paperwork needed to get in on the lawsuit. He stated that my house will have to be repiped.

What do you want me to explain about the pics? I told you guys what happened, and took pics of the damage. You're sitting here jumping to conclusions without any evidence to backup your accusations. I'm here to get some advice and input from people.....not to troll around and make fake threads about my water pipe blowing out in a barely decade old house.

As far as Kitec getting a "word" in about their product......who cares? The fact that between 35,000-50,000 homes in Las Vegas, NV alone are affected by their crappy pipe fittings makes any "word" they say redundant. And as far as speaking to Kitec....no I haven't. I tried looking everywhere for some type of contact info, but to no avail. I even called the number in the link for Chuck Walters and left a detailed voicemail.....never received a call back.

Anyways, I appreciate everyone that helped me out. I will still refer back to this thread in the time being for new advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks