Water Supply Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

WSeaSue

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I tried to post earlier but it didn't take. We are replacing a 3/4" (that's what it looks like) galvanized supply pipe in fairly bad shape. The existing pipe runs straight to the meter on the street, unfortunately right next to a big pine near the house. We've tried to go around, but still find roots. Can we install a new supply UNDER big roots? They don't seem to go down, just stay 4-8 inches below surface. Will Seattle PUD approve a line under roots or say cut them (this will kill the tree, I'm pretty sure)? Can you do a supply line with several 90 deg turns? We could run along the front of the house away from the tree, turn 90, go to the front of the yard, turn 90, and come back to the original trench. Can "trenchless" installers push a pipe through a root ball without too many issues to the tree?

Also, should we use L or K for our 1" copper supply line?

Thanks,
Sue

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your best shot at getting under the tree would be to jack or drive a steel pipe under the tree and then push the 1" K copper or polyethylene through the steel pipe. The "trenchless" machines that I have seen pull a deep bar through the ground, which would require going through the tree.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You need a HDD machine (Horizontal Directional Drilling). Essentially they bore a hole through the ground and you dig a hole on the other side to get to the other end. A sleeve (like those Chinese Finger Traps) attaches to the shaft holding on to your pipe and its pulled back through the hole.

Take to an irrigation company and see if they might be interested in a little side work or perhaps they can be rented if you've got a hitch that you can tow it home with.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks