Uneven installation of new tub

Users who are viewing this thread

C8M8M8

Reaction score
I hired, I thought, workers to remodel my small bathroom. They bought a tub which was slightly bigger than the one I had and did not level it. It is lower on the back right side. I then hired a different man who did his best with installing a surround shower kit. He told me he had to make that level. The problem is the caulking where the shower kit meets the tub. There is only supposed to be a small teeney space to caulk around the tub and where the shower kit sits on top of the tub. Well, it starts out little but when you get to the area where the tub is lower than the shower surround, the space is pretty big. The man tried to caulk it but it looks horrible. Starts out thin caulking and hits the lower right back corner of tub and you almost need an inch of caulking. What can I do. I have thought and thought and can't think of anything. What about hiring a tile man and have decorative tile put around the whole tub against the surround kit? I don't even know if that will work. Crooked is crooked no matter what you do. What about flat plastic trim that is usually used for chair rails or something like that. Please please help. If I need to hire someone who would that be? What would I look under in the yellow pages?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
An inch out of level is a lot. You will always have water ponding at the low spot, the tub may not even drain completely. This should have been fixed, and I would not rule out even at this point , starting over. You have to live with this for a long time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
uneven

An inch across the short ends of the tub would be very apparent, besides needing the adjustment at both ends, but it would be very difficult to put the tub an inch out of level the long way, so which way is the uneveness.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It should have been corrected by the original workers before any other work was started. Now you've got to undo all the work down to the floor, re-set the tub properly, and re-do the surround. As for who to hire, I probably wouldn't hire the original crowd, even if you could find them :D .

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
What everyone said here is true. You should have made sure the tub was level before you paid the original guys. That being said, if you want to live with it, you should be able to find some plastic trim that you can caulk in place to cover the gap. It will look similar to the trim around the tub surround--only wider.

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
It`ll hold water in the corner. Ya gotta take it back out and try again. Make sure you bed it in something if it is an acrylic tub. You might run a band around it to keep the edges straight. The installation is the most important part of getting the tub to prerform properly.

I have installed and whirlpooled over 2000 tubs.:)

TMG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks