Kohler San Raphael flapper driving me CRAZY

Users who are viewing this thread

PabNYC

Reaction score
I have had a San Raphael one piece toilet for 6 years and it has worked fine up until recently. I concluded that the flapper was not sealing correctly so I got a new OEM kohler flapper from my local plumbing supply. I put it in, adjusted the chain several times but it does not center itself over the hole most of the time when it reseats itself.

If I manually adjust it it seals perfect.

So I concluded that it must be a defective flapper and I just got a Korky one from my local Lowes. I put it on and the same problem again.

FYI it is the newer style that has a band that goes around the rectangular overflow tube

It is driving me crazy. What can I do since the problem seems to be me.

Thanks!!!

P

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't tell from the picture if there are two little holes on this flapper. If not, I would return it and buy the "old" style flapper: The one with two holes. In either case, just cut off the unneeded (band) part of the flapper with a scissors and hook the two loops onto the two hooks at the bottom of the flush valve. You should be good to go after that.

It is definitely the band part that is restricting free movement of the flapper.

Last edited:

PabNYC

Reaction score
Problem Solved!

I feel so silly like I knew I would.

Thanks HJ. I actually didin't know that that bar had to snap into the groove back there. I thought it just stayed below the last 'lip' of the last bar.

Thanks!

P

gygelly

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having almost exactly the same problem.

Here's the trick:

I've tried replacing the flapper.

The back of the flush valve has a series of grooves going up the back where the bar can be inserted. I've tried attaching it to every groove that makes sense (the lowest 3, any higher and the back of the flapper doesn't seat in the drain).

If I adjust it manually, it makes a seal and doesn't leak at all.

But every time I flush it with the handle, it goes off to one side or the other and doesn't form a good seal. Hell, half the time, it doesn't even come close.

Looking at it, I'd almost say there are 2 problems:
1)the flapper is too small for the drain. It has to seat exactly to keep from leaking. You'd think the nub on the bottom of the flapper would be just big enough to make the flapper fit center over the drain, but unfortunately no.

2)the parts of the flapper that attach to the back of the valve is this real flimsy rubber, which allows it to go every which way when the water drains. Why isn't there a version that using a hard plastic and a metal axle to attach to the back, which would keep the thing straight and force it to seat right every time?

Any advice?

rjw

Reaction score
San Raphael flapper

What a Dummy I was
I played around with the same problem with the replacement shark fine flapper. Kohler item number 84995 ]I purchased the item at Home Depot. The back of the flush tube has grooves you have to press the rubber piece into into the groove. I choose the groove close to the bottom. It works like a charm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks