Moen Posi-Temp vibration

Users who are viewing this thread

kebisch

Reaction score
I have a shower with a Moen Posi-Temp valve.
Sometimes when in use it will start to vibrate at
maybe around 8 Hz.
It sounds like thump-thump-thump,and pretty strong.
It sounds worse if I am standing in the kitchen,
which is under the hot water heaters; sounds
like somebody is up there hammering on them.
Is this just an obnoxious noise,
or is it a hazard of some kind?
How can it be fixed?

Heather1974

Reaction score
Oh I hope someone can help with this one. We have the same problem as kebisch below, and replaced the cartridge the night before last. We reassembled everything, and let the shower run for 10 minutes before deciding that we'd fixed the vibration.

This morning, it's back. We have a small house, with no other access to the shower/tub plumbing other than behind the fixtures--the only other option would be to start smashing out tiles.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what the vibration might be. It's not air in the pipes as this is the only place that does it, and we did drain the system the other night.

Thanks!!

~Heather

DanW

Reaction score
I had this same problem. The clunking was so loud, you could feel the vibration downstairs. Replacing the cartridge completely eliminated it.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I have the same valve, same problem. Valve is probably 20 yrs. old. Just haven't taken the time to replace it yet.

Dcalvinus

Reaction score
moen vibration

I have the same problem that Kebisch and Heather1974 complained about, but cannot find a solution. My plumber replaced the catridge, then replaced the entire valve. It still vibrates. He then replaced the pressure regulator and the valve in another shower that he though was involved. All the pipes were checked to see if they were loose. The vibration persists. We never had a problem before installing this pressure balancing valve. The frequency seems to be about 4Hz. Did Heather1974 find a solution? Does anyone have a solution other than those that we tried?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks