how best to cut cultured marble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockstar Dave

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 25" wide cultured marble sink that has to fit in a 24" niche. I've had some people tell me cut it with a circular saw with a fine carbide blade, others say use a handsaw (hacksaw?) for more control, and another said to use a belt sander. Anyone have any experience or preferences for one way or another? Thanks so much for your help.

Dave in PA

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You won't be able to cut it straight with a hacksaw. Do you have a router?

Will the edges be covered with anything? THere is often a lip on the edges to help keep water from rolling off.

Strap a straightedge to the bottom of the thing and use your circular saw.

If you have a belt sander, you could use that.

Do a search here...someone did this a few months ago (search is in the blue bar near the top).

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would try a circ. saw with a diamond blade. You may need to cut it wet, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm sure many others here can help you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

Almsot any saw will cut it. Your problem is really how to make a straight cut. I use a SawZall with a fine blade and proceed slowly. A belt sander afterwards will smooth the edge. An "abrasive" wheel such as a diamond blade will melt the material, and clog the blade.

dm_seafoam.jpg

Designers Marble in Woodinville WA
dm_breccia_par.jpg

dm_vanity_breccia_par.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockstar Dave

Reaction score
cutting culture marble

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies & helpful advice.

In reply to some of your questions -

the sink will butt up against walls on either side. This is a really small bathroom. The vanity/sink is in a sort of niche that is just under 24" wide. (I bought a 24" vanity and had to take it apart and reassemble it in the niche, because it wouldn't fit through the space assembled!). The walls are moisture-resistant sheetrock with the good moisture-resistant primer and paint.

I don't own a router, but I know someone that does. I like the sawzall idea, gotta go pick up some fine blades.

Thanks again!

Dave

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Dave,

You may want to make a template first. It is often necessary to take a little off each side to get a good fit. As you found with the vanity, everything that should be is not always square.

I would use a circular saw or a router, if using a circular saw, tape the cut line first. Use a straight edge to run the saw or router along. Use a mask, and do the cut outside.

If you use a router, it is safest to use a bit with a shaft larger than 1/4 inch.

Paul

Rockstar Dave

Reaction score
thanks Paul

Template sounds like a good idea. How would you do the straightedge? Maybe clamp a piece of wood to the sink for the saw to run next to?

Thanks again,

Dave

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A good straight board works fine, offset to bring the blade where you want it.

The trick is to get the fit where a small caulk line will fill the gap equally all around.

Paul

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
hj said:
An "abrasive" wheel such as a diamond blade will melt the material, and clog the blade.

Is this true? A diamond blade will melt cultured marble?:confused:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would use a high toothed carbide, but see what some of the other guys say. It is resin so heat will melt it.

Don't forget the finished surface is mm thin.

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A diamond blade like used for tilework, is basically microscopic diamond dust. It cuts by grinding more than what we think of cutting. It would quickly clog up with a thermoplastic material. A carbide wood blade stays sharper longer, and would make a clean cut on cultured marble. A new good quality wood blade would do it too, but might get dulled some.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks