(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: how best to cut cultured marble?

Default how best to cut cultured marble?

Hello all,

I have a 25" wide cultured marble sink that has to fit in a 24" niche. I've had some people tell me cut it with a circular saw with a fine carbide blade, others say use a handsaw (hacksaw?) for more control, and another said to use a belt sander. Anyone have any experience or preferences for one way or another? Thanks so much for your help.

Dave in PA

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You won't be able to cut it straight with a hacksaw. Do you have a router?

Will the edges be covered with anything? THere is often a lip on the edges to help keep water from rolling off.

Strap a straightedge to the bottom of the thing and use your circular saw.

If you have a belt sander, you could use that.

Do a search here...someone did this a few months ago (search is in the blue bar near the top).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I would try a circ. saw with a diamond blade. You may need to cut it wet, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm sure many others here can help you.

Default cut

Almsot any saw will cut it. Your problem is really how to make a straight cut. I use a SawZall with a fine blade and proceed slowly. A belt sander afterwards will smooth the edge. An "abrasive" wheel such as a diamond blade will melt the material, and clog the blade.

Designers Marble in Woodinville WA

Last edited by Terry; 06-03-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Default cutting culture marble

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies & helpful advice.

In reply to some of your questions -

the sink will butt up against walls on either side. This is a really small bathroom. The vanity/sink is in a sort of niche that is just under 24" wide. (I bought a 24" vanity and had to take it apart and reassemble it in the niche, because it wouldn't fit through the space assembled!). The walls are moisture-resistant sheetrock with the good moisture-resistant primer and paint.

I don't own a router, but I know someone that does. I like the sawzall idea, gotta go pick up some fine blades.

Thanks again!

Dave

Dave,

You may want to make a template first. It is often necessary to take a little off each side to get a good fit. As you found with the vanity, everything that should be is not always square.

I would use a circular saw or a router, if using a circular saw, tape the cut line first. Use a straight edge to run the saw or router along. Use a mask, and do the cut outside.

If you use a router, it is safest to use a bit with a shaft larger than 1/4 inch.

Paul

Default thanks Paul

Template sounds like a good idea. How would you do the straightedge? Maybe clamp a piece of wood to the sink for the saw to run next to?

Thanks again,

Dave

A good straight board works fine, offset to bring the blade where you want it.

The trick is to get the fit where a small caulk line will fill the gap equally all around.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    An "abrasive" wheel such as a diamond blade will melt the material, and clog the blade.
    Is this true? A diamond blade will melt cultured marble?

I would use a high toothed carbide, but see what some of the other guys say. It is resin so heat will melt it.

Don't forget the finished surface is mm thin.

Paul

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A diamond blade like used for tilework, is basically microscopic diamond dust. It cuts by grinding more than what we think of cutting. It would quickly clog up with a thermoplastic material. A carbide wood blade stays sharper longer, and would make a clean cut on cultured marble. A new good quality wood blade would do it too, but might get dulled some.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default cut

IF the 24" cabinet would not go into the space assembled, then you also have to cut the top slightly undersized so it can be tilted/twisted in.