(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Lifespan of water heater

Default Lifespan of water heater

I have a 5 year Reliance 501 water heater. Moved into this house in Feb 2001.
    It looked new then.
    Any recommendation about replacing this unit now?

If there is no chance of a leaking w/h to do damage you may want to wait till you see signs of a leak around the bottom of the heater................

I'd put one of those drain pans that are currently required under it and monitor it. When a heater begins to fail, it is a gradual process, and the drain pan will allow any leaks from the tank or TP valve a place to go which will prevent damage to your home. It will also allow you to get maximum life out of the heater.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Often when they start to die, it is gradual, but it can escalate quickly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking 5-12 years

5 to 12years is average for a water heater...

reliance is a piss poor brand so figure around 7 if you are lucky

Hi
    My original w/h was a richmond, 90 day full warranty, 3 year tank warranty, and was installed in 1993 when my house was built. It failed from a leak in 2005. The leak started small, and suddenly ruptured into a flooding leak at 3:00 in the morning about 4 days after I noticed the wet spot. I got 12 years out of this one which was a cheapy, and with extremely hard water (elements only seem to last for about 8 to 10 months even in my new one). My well is a shared well, and we have all been talking about digging a pit and putting in a shared water softener, so we'll see how this goes. Hopefully when this is done, we can all double the life of our heaters.
    Rob

That's why a drain pan that is piped to a drain is a good idea. When I installed a new heat in my daughter's home, I just piped into the crawl space. Her house is built on and old river bed and will take thousands of water. My own heater is in the basement and is set on a 4" concrete shelf that is on one end of a mop basin with a floor drain.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

I forget the exact length of time my old one lasted, but I think it was from 1979 or 1981 if I recall correctly. Whichever, it was older than me! I replaced it last year when it was still functioning just fine for the effeciency alone.

Jason

Thanks guys. I feel a lot better about where Im at with when to replace it now.
    I suspected Reliance was a sub standard brand from my experience with the various other junk appliances the home came with which is taking years to replace.

It just disgusts me. I'm talking substandard hinges-electrical outlets-various building materials thruout the house. And it's an awesome house with a 360 degree mountain view. end rant.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike50
    It just disgusts me. I'm talking substandard hinges-electrical outlets-various building materials thruout the house. And it's an awesome house with a 360 degree mountain view. end rant.
    Yup. You really need to ask for those goodies when you build a house. Commercial outlets, commercial/industrial door hinges, engineered lumber, thicker drywall, cast iron DWV, etc, etc. They won't spend more than required if they don't have to.

At least you have the view when your house is falling apart -- I got a 360 degree neighbor view.

Jason