Installling shower base--frustrations!

Users who are viewing this thread

andyman

Reaction score
I am finishing up a bathroom-finally getting to a 3ft square basement shower that was cracked at the bottom. After removing the base and buying a base to fit the shower, on pre installation I came to the grim reality that the drain hole and 2'' pipe drain in the concrete did not line up, in fact two inches off. Speaking with a local plumber I was told to line up the drains at all cost. That I did and installed the gasket drain and sealed it to the pipe.

Three sides fit perfectly, but now I'm stuck with a 2'' gap that's seven inches deep (opposite the entering side) that I have filled with 2 2x4s for the seven inches. The big question: What can you cover this 36" x 2'' gap with to completely seal and waterproof the opening? Plastic, more fiberglass, sealant? (I don't want to spend another $100 bucks to buy another base)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The better answer is to move the drain line to line up. Or, you could make a traditional shower pan and tile it. I'm not a pro, but I can't think of a good way to fill thatopening and keep it waterproof, at least without spending a bunch. How's your fiberglass forming skils? You'd never get the finish to look like the existing walls, but you could bond that in. Very much of a hack, though. A picture would help. What exactly are the walls made of and how do they connect with the base?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks