(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water level sensor connections

Default Water level sensor connections

I got this water level sensor here in Spain for a well, and you would need a microscope to read the diagrams etc. So I was hoping that someone might be able to help. I have attached photos of the sensor. First of all: is it neccessary to have 3 depth sensors hanging in the water , or would max and minimum be sufficient. Also how do I make the connections? In my case it is 220 volts. In the photo (sensor_2) 220 volts connects to pole nš 10, but where do I connect the second 220 volt cable? I can see the earth connects in pole nš 7. I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Previous member

The third probe is a ground. I'm thinking they want it in the water as well as the other two. The actual connection is made between the hi/lo probes and the ground probe.

I don't read Spanish and sure don't know where they hid the other line in unless it is the 380 screw. That would be my best guess.

bob...

due to the hopelessly inadequate instructions I have no idea how to make the connections - I know that *one* of the mains 220 v wires connects to pole 10. I wonder if the other goes to 4, which switches to 3 for on or off of the pump. But where the pump should be connected ...no idea. Maybe one pump wire to 10 and the other to 4?? Am I right to assume that the 3 probes are actually neccessary?

BTW the instructions in Spanish are not an issue for me, just the lack of clarity. About the second 220 Volt connection: I think it's probably supposed to be connected directly to the pump? And the other 220 Volt cable connects to pole 10 (as in the photo sensor_2.jpg). With the earth from the pump - if there is one - connecting to pole 7?
    That would seem to explain how the pump turns on and off, as in a normal on/off: one mains cable directly to the apparatus, and the other via a switch (in this case pole 10), but I'm still left with the problem of what poles the second pump cable is connected to - Pole 1? because it seems to have an on_off connectri ng to 3 and 4. Thanks

Previous member

I'm sorry, there is just not enough info to make a wild guess.

bob...

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I think you need to call a plomero. The connection diagram looks normal. Apparently you can run the thing on either 220 or 380 (!?) VAC (pin 2/10 or 2/11), and a signal voltage is used (pins 5,6,7 to determine water level. The level determines when the power relay (pins 1,4,3) is closed. I haven't a clue what the dials and knobs might be for -- maybe a sensitivity adjustment? Is there a complete manual?
    Last edited by Mikey; 08-22-2006 at 06:24 AM.

Rancher

Give them a call, I'm guessing the knob is a delay, and the pot is a sensitivity adjustment.

Tel. 977 64 15 16 - Fax. 977 64 15 17 - Email : german@nivelgar.com

Rancher

a complete manual? All I got was a small folded piece of paper with print and diagrams, compressed to a tiny size and impossible to make out. I did email the company but no reply yet. I am assuming that the connections should be as follows:
    1: One mains cable to pin 10, the other direct to pump
    2: the other pump cable to pin 1
    3: The 3 probes to pins, 5,6 and 7 as in the photo
    4 I assume pin 7 is also used for the pump earth wire, but I have no idea what pin 2 is for.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Here are my guesses:

-220VAC Mains to pins 2 and 10 (this powers the device itself and the internal relay)

-the 3 probes as you've guessed

-One side of the 220VAC mains to pin 1, then either pin 3 or 4 (depending on how the device switches -- I'd first try 3) to one side of the pump motor, then the other side of the motor back to the other side of the 220VAC mains

-Pin 7 and the motor ground to ground

Caution: I'm guessing in English.
    Last edited by Mikey; 08-22-2006 at 11:13 AM.

so you would connect mains to pins 2 and 10 AND also one side of mains to pin 1? hmm... seems strange to connect the mains twice. But...?
    I may end up calling the manufacturer. There are bigger diagrams of different models (also confusing...to me...) on their website www.nivelgar.com but my particular model (CIN MV) is "page not found" .
    Thanks.