(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extending a Waste-Supply - Lazy Option?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart
    You began this thread by asking for help in going the right direction on this project, but you seem to be looking for support in doing it your way even if it's wrong. Have you considered what will happen if/when you decide to sell this house? You will not pass the inspection until this is made right.
    Right direction? Again, granted...but there seems to be more than one opinion on what the right direction is...I'd rather be informed than take one particular route as gospel.

Re selling the house. You can sell a house in Dublin city for ridiculous money if it is infested with rats, smells like pee and has a tramp living in the kitchen. A kitchen with slightly odd plumbing is the LAST thing on anyone's mind when buying a house in this city let alone something a mortgage approval-inspection will care about. I bought this house for X last year - it would be sold for 1.5-1.7X this year - that's just the way Dublin this.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    This forum is like going to the Doctor. I don't always do what my Doctor tells me. I hire him or her for advice. I'm ultimately in charge of my body. In fact, I usually end up throwing out the majority of the prescriptions I get. I'd probably be dead by now if I listened to them and not my own gut feelings.
    Ha! Seconded...I once had to ORDER a doctor to conduct an ultrasound on me...somewhere. Turned out I needed surgery when he was adamant that it was "just a passing pain".

Quote Originally Posted by Lakee911
    I think it would work, but when you go to sell your house, it's going to look...how do they say it...ghetto-rigged. Throw on some duct tape--even if it serves no purpose--helps for the effect!
    Thanks...oh I'll get around the crappy look. The question was about something being possible in principle. I will ensure the plumbers / remodellers have things nice and hidden. The problem was just that no-one seemed to have even an opinion in Ireland as to whether extending a waste line was possible. It's not an issue of law, nor of re-selling, nor of looks. All that will be taken into account. It's a question about the possibility of it being done.

Anyway...I don't know a SINGLE person / couple my age who has bought a house in this city and NOT torn out the kitchen and put in their own. Even if this little solution ends up looking terrible, it's not something anyone here would care about when buying a house and there is ALWAYS...I mean ALWAYS someone else to sell to. It always fascinates me how you can find property shows on Digital somewhere where one single bidder actually underbids the guide price and has his or her bid accepted! Amazing...In Dublin, for every city centre house, there is about 5-10 bidders kicking the crap out of each other...always. So sell on value is not an issue.
    Last edited by brianfoley; 08-22-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Default possibility

If that was all you wanted to know, then since it is water, and water will always run downhill, you can install a pipe 1,000 feet long and as long as it has downward grade it will drain. We would just tell you not to run a 1,000 foot drain line, that is all. And almost every piping question has almost as many "correct" answers as there are plumbers, especially when we cannot see the physical property. Unfortunately, there are even more incorrect ones, some that work and some that don't.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    If that was all you wanted to know, then since it is water, and water will always run downhill, you can install a pipe 1,000 feet long and as long as it has downward grade it will drain. We would just tell you not to run a 1,000 foot drain line, that is all. And almost every piping question has almost as many "correct" answers as there are plumbers, especially when we cannot see the physical property. Unfortunately, there are even more incorrect ones, some that work and some that don't.
    That'd be a big kitchen, hj!

Default pipe

What can I say. Some families just have a lot of kids and need more space.