(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Water Pressure in Shower/Tub - HELP!

Arrow Verification -- at least as much as you can give on the Internet!

Guys:

I'm likely to continue to be a one-post wonder. The limit of my plumbing knowledge is around re-building toilets and installing new faucets -- but I read forums like this to get good advice from people who know what they're doing.

Net, I probably can't contribute much to anything beyond an occasional review of shower heads or faucets. Hanging a shelf or a pendant light is about as much remodelling as I'm capable of! (As a handyman, I'm an excellent Market Researcher.)

Realize the skepticism here based on the prior posts, but don't let it cross over into paranoia. If you need to verify that I'm not connected with that company, please go to my company's page at: http://www.bases.com/services/contactdtc.html -- I'm the second name on the list, drop me an e-mail and I'll reply from that address. Live in Cincinnati, work in NKY, and don't have any relatives, friends, etc... working for the Water Management folks. Just thought this forum (since I got some good info here) would be interested in an unbiased review.

Since this is your second post, you are no longer a one-post wonder.

Ranger...this sounds like you.. from here...http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/a...howerhead-post

Jonah Keegan writes:

The Fire Hydrant shower heads from Water Management are a gift from the engineering gods to anyone with low water pressure. I canít emphasize enough how well this product works living up to every single claim made on the website. Itís so nice to find something that sounds almost too good to be true and discover that it really is. In addition the folks running the business are some of the nicest people Iíve had the pleasure of dealing with, both online and over the phone.

Another favorite (if your water pressure is nice and high) is the water-pik cascadia. Very sensual and relaxing.
    December 12th, 2006 at 11:20 am

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
    Everyone -- stumbled on this forum doing my research for a low flow shower head...and had seen the prior posts both pro/con about the low flow heads from Water Management. I had two showers that I wanted better flow at -- my shower in the basement (previously a Delta with a handle), and a regular head that I suspect was original builder's equipment (can't find a brand name) in the master.

My flow on the Delta in the basement was ok-- not great, but ok. The shower in the master was pathetic -- not sure if the water pressure is lower on the 2nd floor, or if the head was bad -- but just not acceptable performance. After reading on a few sites, I decided to try Water Management's Fire Hydrant (BTW-- agree with the prior posts--- uncommon similarity between sites that glow about the Fire Hydrant!)

Anyway, installed the handled product in the basement and the typical head off the master. Flow is significantly improved in both places. Mostly this appears to be an artifact of smaller holes on the spray setting-- but the pressure is more pleasing and seems to "scrub" the soap off better. The massage setting actually works (didn't really do anything on prior heads-- not enough pressure). I'd tried a couple of other heads from Lowe's/Home Depot without being satisfied, so this was a nice resolution. Importantly, I didn't compare this to any other Low Flow heads I found on the internet, so I can't give any comparative thoughts. My wife was very happy with her new shower head as well. ("ooh" was the verbatim!)

Net, while I wouldn't call these a 'miracle' from the engineering gods, they do do what is promised, and I'm satisfied. Also, it's clear that Water Management values their customers -- the heads were well protected by bubble wrap and packing peanuts-- teflon tape and spare washers were also included. (God knows, I have enough teflon tape, but it's still a nice touch.)

I don't intend to be a regular poster here. My "day job" is marketing research -- so I know the importance of accurate info -- and wanted to provide a "real" review of the products discussed here. While I find 'fake' reviews deplorable, I guess it's a bit easier to forgive if the product lives up to its billing.

No doubt they are a client of your marketing research company!
    So you notice all the threads on this forum that come up real high on the google search engine...
    There was one company not long ago that tried something similar.
    It was a bonehead move because on almost every search for that company or product the forum listed higher than the company...
    Now if we were to get downright nasty towards your scam artist company these attempt at advertising cold be like a fart in church...
    All it takes is key words...
    Like...
    Water Management, inc. showerhead sucks.
    Water Management, inc. showerhead = awful shower
    low water pressure fire hydrant spa junk
    I'd rather stab an ice pick in my eyes than use a low water pressure fire hydrant.

Post again and I'll spend some time on the key words...
    Last edited by Redwood; 12-07-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Default all this sybil stuff is confusing

A couple of weeks ago I was reading this thread looking for help on my shower that had low volume.

After reading the info on takeashower.com I linked to their web site and purchased the hand-held and the sink faucet products.

After buying their products I returned to this thread and learned about this SYBIL stuff. I was quite concerned about whether I just wasted my money. However, once the product arrived it appeared to be of reasonable quality.

I have not installed the product yet mainly because my low flow condition was fixed.

My reason for this message is because I contacted takeashower.com to return the products and tell them about the sybil stuff on this thread.

A representative of the company and the owner of the company took the time to hear my concerns regarding the internet sybil stuff and here is their response.

Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 9:50 PM
    To: stevemiller@laderasystems.net
    Subject: Thank You

Good Evening Mr Miller:

Earlier this evening I spoke with Sam, who told me about your phone call. Needless to say, when my companyís reputation is at stake, I feel obligated to personally respond as well.

First of all, I greatly appreciate you listening to our side of the story, and giving us the opportunity to at least try and set the record straight. Unfortunately I cannot prevent the slander and untruths that are written about us; but I can and must defend my company, and myself.

Sam informed me that you no longer really needed the products you ordered from us, but had agreed to try them in another application. I certainly want to thank you for doing this, but nevertheless, I have already authorized a full refund (including all postage) of your original purchase price, in the amount of $93.10. This amount has been credited back to your American Express account, ending in #1009. This credit will appear on your account within 2-3 business days. Please, try the products we sent you and if you are not 100% satisfied then simply discard, you do not have to return anything. If you are 100% satisfied, then you can call our Store and make payment Ė if you wish.

Mr Miller, Sam told me that you were also a business owner. If that is the case then I hope you never encounter, and are never forced to deal with the lies and slander that I have to.

Cordially,

Gary Auritt
    CEO & Founder
    Water Management, Inc
    228 Commonwealth Avenue
    Boston, MA 02116
    617 267 2299
    800 249 2299
    gary@takeashower.com

They clearly stand behind their products and their company; if you check out their web site there are numerous unbiased testimonials and an excellent BBB rating.

I will be installing the product later this week and if it works as advertised I will pay them the money, if not, I will return the product to them and pay the postage.

steve in Southern CA

Quote Originally Posted by geniescience View Post
    i think this is a sybil attack where coordinating aliases help each other out. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reputat...tation_systems

here we have two identities claiming to be real people, and of course this could give rise to claims of being sincere.

i think that instead of deleting these posts and others with the same text, it could be good to edtit them down to a very small size so that they remain recorded.

david

I can't believe I made an account here just to reply to this, but here it is. I wanted a new showerhead. My water pressure isn't terrible, but isn't great; I want great. I travel a lot and every time I am in a hotel I am jealous of the shower quality. So I searched around and stumbled upon all this conspiracy crap about takeashower.com. I checked out their website and claims, and decided I have to know for myself. For $46 including shipping, I am about to put a rest to this stupid, stupid conversation, at least in my own mind. The way I see it, they are either a total scam, mediocre, or great, and perhaps guilty of some misguided self-promotion. It is worth the small monetary risk to me to find out. I ordered a chrome fire hydrant shower head a couple days ago and I am in MA, so hopefully I get it today and can install it and post a review tomorrow. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by brickhouse; 01-08-2009 at 06:12 AM.

final verdict: it works as advertised, but it's not working miracles - most of the improvement is likely due to the fact that there is just no restrictor plate. it does have a highly adjustable range of sprays though (i got the fire hydrant model), including the max point that felt great but blasted out so much water i did not have enough hot water to finish a shower. i was able to find a nice happy medium between a good strong pressure and not using up all the hot water. i'm not sure if something for $25 at home depot or lowes would have done the same trick, so it's still possible that it is overpriced, but i can definitely say my shower is probably twice as good as it was with my old head.

Default Low Pressure Shower Head

I also have the "low pressure well water problem" and read every article I could find about Shower heads, etc. I was very concerned about the discussions regarding phony posts and wasn't sure what to do. I took a chance and bought the shower head from Takeashower.com. The following is the letter I wrote to the President of that company.

"A couple of weeks ago, I bought the Spa head for my house in N.C. We have very low well pressure there and I've been suffering with miserable showers. The Spa head is terrific. I couldn't believe the difference. I had read a lot of stuff on blogs about phony posts; however, I took a chance on you and I'm glad I did. I don't know how it works and don't care. I get to take great showers and that's all that counts. Well done guys.
    Thanks again."
    Jeff Schiff
    Whittier, NC

Bottom line - it works.

Default takeashower experiment

Well, I decided to try this Spa shower head from takeashower.com. I live in the city and have very low preassure in the shower and my wife is constantly complaining. When I receive and install it I will report here.
    I also registered here just to help other with my good or bad experience.
    About me:
    I design high end kitchens and bathrooms. In bathrooom designs I use mostly German products.

Ok Guys and Gals I suppose.
    I ordered Fire Hydrant September 6th with Priority Mail delivery option. Almost 2 weeks later still was waiting. Wrote a letter to company. The guy answered, appologized for mishap, sent me confirmation with tracking number. I got it yesterday. I have installed it in my wife's shower which has pretty bad preassure. I think this bad boy increased preassure about 2.5 times. Not bad. You can actually feel water hitting your body. I was so impressed that immediatelly took my clothes off and went for it.
    I have no affiliation with this company and thinking about taking short video and youtube it. I have to take it down this week cause wife wants previous shower head with hose to clean the shower walls, this gives me an opportunity to shoot the video.
    End of story. It works, at least in my case of vintage condo bathroom with shower stall build off the tub plumbing.

Smile Another p.o.v.

Well then, will add my two cents - I live in Lagos, Nigeria. As you can imagine low water pressure here is pretty much everyone's problem, but that usually doesn't matter as most people simply bathe from a bucket. Unfortunately having lived in the UK most of my life, a bowl and bucket simply won't cut it for me :-)

My shower on the first floor simply does not work at all - the pressure just about gets to the hand basin and toilet, so I shower downstairs - but the pressure is soo low that a shower there is such a disappointing start to everyday.

Anyway, after talking to several semi-qualified plumbers, and installing all sorts of crap - pressure pumps (which burst my pipes), big shower heads, small shower heads, etc, I finally decided to ask the all knowing Google, and stumbled across this forum. After reading all the above comments, I have now ordered several fire hydrant handheld shower heads and faucet aerators from Water Management Inc/takeashower.com and have also registered on this forum to let you know how it all turns out.

Will update you all in a couple of weeks when the units arrive. I think the "Africa test" should just about put to rest the question of whether or not the company sells a decent product or not.

Default Another p.o.v. revisited...

So, my shower heads from Water Management Inc/takeashower.com finally arrived Lagos last week. I fitted one Spa Deluxe Hand Held Shower Head in the upstairs bath, and a second one of the same model shower head downstairs where the pressure is a little better. Verdict? EXCELLENT. I also bought and installed a couple of the Swivel-Jet Faucet Aerators for the kitchen sink and master sink, and it's pretty amazing how much better the flow is. Back to the shower heads - they look pretty much like any other shower heads, in fact I would say slightly smaller than usual, but the key as to why they work better is they seem to force the water out of fewer holes in the head while interspersing the water with tiny air bubbles which are allowed to pass through at the same time, and the arrangement/pattern of the spray is made for minimal dispersion of the water. I was amazed really - it just gives a better shower experience for low pressure users. The pressure doesnt actually change, it just sends it through the shower head differently, and that's what gives you the better flow. About the faucet aerators - only cost about $10 each, and it's worth it - lets you adjust the angle and flow in the sink, quite convenient really. Hope that's helpful to anyone thinking of purchasing from takeashower.com!

Default faucet

Now that we are getting more, and better information, such as good pressure at the sink next to the shower, it limits the possible causes. Inside the valve where the pipes go up to the shower and down to the tub, there is a "restrictor" device. It has a fairly small annular ring around ti and that can get clogged causing symptoms such as yours. One possible cure is to blow compressed air into the spout opening while the two stems are remove so any movable debris can be blown out. If that doesn't do the trick, then I usually have to disconnect the shower riser, remove the restrictor, then connect the spout with a "twin ell" and repipe the shower riser down to the back opening of the twin ell. You also have to use a 3/4" diverter spout, which sometimes comes with the ell.

Default After all the doom and gloom

I currently have a removable shower head that works poorly. I don't mean that it was manufactured junk, just that it works poorly now. Not sure if it gummed up inside or if something broke inside.

After all of the doom and gloom and concern over who is posting what, and who is a fraud, I may try one of those takeashower.com heads. Would have already ordered it if their site were not down for maintenance.

So, if I actually do get one of these, should I video the installation and use (no, I don't mean you can watch me take a shower , no one wants to see that).

After I have a new one to install, I will probably take apart my current head to see what the problem is. I expect, however, that if I take it apart:

1. I won't be able to get it back together
    2. I won't be able to return it to waterpick under their "lifetime" warranty.

One of my biggest complaints about my current system is that I want the shower head higher. I had always assumed that the stem coming out of the wall was one piece, now that I think about it, I should check; I might be able to use an "S" head thing to mount the head higher. Hmmm. Any idea if that would work with a removable shower head?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pitonyak View Post
    I had always assumed that the stem coming out of the wall was one piece, now that I think about it, I should check; I might be able to use an "S" head thing to mount the head higher. Hmmm. Any idea if that would work with a removable shower head?
    There are 'S' shaped shower arms. Keep in mind you have to screw the thing in, so there's a limit how high up you can go before it will hit on the ceiling instead of letting you screw it in.

An alternative is to use a handheld on a mount or a sliding bar.

One interesting solution (not inexpensive), is the Grohe Freehander. It comes in several mounting configurations. http://www.groheamerica.com/p/25_7848.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014