(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Turning off some radiators?

Hybrid View

Default Turning off some radiators?

I heard that turning off some rads in a house is not a good idea. In this case there is a combi oil boiler (sealed room type), with about 13 rads, and a somewhat oversized boiler. Each rad has a seperate hot in pipe and a return pipe. (I think its called a two pipe system). Anyway is it true that it is better to leave all the rads on full, or is it ok to to reduce some of them with the manual valve (not thermostatic type), Thank you.

Default valves

IT really depends on whether you have a two pipe system, or a Mono-Flo single pipe one. A two pipe system does not depend on the water flowing through the radiator to maintain the flow/temperature downstream. A Mono-Flo system with valves shut off will degrade the entire system.

Yea...makes sense. BTW it is a two-pipe system. Just turned on the system for the first time today. Seems fine except that it takes the last rad (upstairs) quite a while to heat. Maybe because the connecting pipes to the last rad do a longish detour to the attic (with bleed valves in attic at highest point ) and back down to the next room? Is it advisable to "balance" the rads by partially closing the valves on the hottest rads, so getting heat more evenly circulated around the house? Because I heard that the thermostatic valves aren't great.Thanks.

I've got to ask, is this a water or steam system?

Default valves

Closing valves on the hottest radiators does nothing to speed the heat to the other ones. It just slows down the rate of heating in that room so it does not become overheated, or turn off the thermostat if it is located in that room.

It's an oil combi burner, using water in a sealed system around the rads. I did hear something before about "balancing" rads and I thought it would be logical(?) that reducing the heat in the hottest rads (the ones nearest to the boiler) would mean that the further rads would get extra heat faster. Or is there some other trick for getting heat to the last rad more quickly?