Basement Remodel Question

Users who are viewing this thread

cardiaccath0

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I am remodeling my basement that has no exsisting bathroom. I do have a 4" main drain line and a drain for the furnace unit. I also have a 1 1/ 2 vent from that drain that I want to tie into. I would like to add a toilet and sink and vent both into the 1 1/2 vent line. Would this be ok for code. I am getting a permit but I'm just not sure if this would work since I wouldn't be able to get a new line through two floors and through the roof. Thanks for your help.

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
basement remodel

Yes,given the basic facts that you have access to the drain and access to a vent,it can be done according to code.Which code is your is your community under the IPC or UPC,also you need to lay-out your floor plan.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the vent line is not draining anything above, then yes I think you should be able to tap into it. You would need to make the new connection above the flood plane of anything draining into it, but since it is venting a floor drain, that would work. BUT, if it is also a drain, then that changes things; then, you'd need to go high enough to be above the highest thing that drains into it. I'm not sure of the vent size with what you want to add. It is based on something called fixture units. If you search, I know it has been discussed here before.

Prashster

Reaction score
My experience

In my town in New Jersey, I was required to have a 2" vent for my basement bathroom group (toilet/sink/shower)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks