Brown water - Hot Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianF

Reaction score
Just bought a house in a newer development (7 years). It has a community well and a propane hw heater. I noticed that when the hot water is on, it was an off color (brownish).

I then questioned if it was iron or other minerals in the main water line. Cold water looks OK and coming from a community well and pumping station I would hope that they send it in w/o the junk for what I am paying for it. None of the pipes show signs of excessive iron or other corrossive minerals.

Doubting that the previous owners ever did it, I flushed the tank almost down to nothing. The water was really bad. Real brown and it did not seem to get any better as I continued to empty it.

It is 7 years old but not leaking and produces plenty of hw. I think it is a 10 year tank but not positive. Could the annode rod be gone and it is not picking up junk? Could the bigger picture be that there is too much iron in the main system or that something else is going on?

I am thinking of changing the tank regardless but want to know if this is a common thing for a gas hw heater to go at 7.5 years old in this way. I have heard of them leaking and other parts going but this is kind of weird.

I kind of miss my previous oil based systm with the tankless coils.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Defective Water Heater

If the rusty colored water is strictly limited to only hot water, I'm thinking that the lining inside the water heater is defective causing the tank to corrode, causing the discoloration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks