What size sewer line???

Users who are viewing this thread

bradl

Reaction score
current home is approx. 35-40yrs old slab construction and does not have a cleanout installed within 5' after it leaves the slab.
I dug up the line and see it as hub/spigot cast iron(checked with magnet), but it measures 5" O.D. exactly!??
I want to cut in a wye but todays modern fittings would leave a lip on the I.D. (ie.,4" Wye)
I'm really confused as to:
1. what size line is this? ( I checked a 4" Heavy Wall, but it has a smaller O.D.)
2. How to accomplish what I need to do.

bradl

Reaction score
From this chart it appears that this could be Class B(5" OD, 4.12" ID), C or D cast iron pipe , but the problem is matching the ID with
the fittings you can purchase today. This would mean approx. 1/8" lip on a 4" wye (3.94" ID) that I can get from a plumbing supply shop.
-This is being done because last year the township cut in a clean out at the curb line and the line backed up a few months later. Now I'm
realizing that the same issue probably exists there and I thought I would be able to put a smooth transition clean out at the house (instead of
having to pull a toilet to run a snake).

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks