Old bolts from an old sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

egg

Reaction score
I was/am curious if anyone would be able to recommend some sort of spray or other such product that would help to loosen some bolts. The bolts are on the underside of my sink and they are the ones holding the original (circa 1977) faucet assembly in place. My intent is to replace the faucet, but I cannot without first removing the bolts (if not I'll have to remove the sink in its entirety)

The bolts are terribly calcified and somewhat rusted. I have already tried the biggest basin-wrench I could find but I cannot muster sufficient torque to actually turn the bolts in question.

I have also tried a bit of white vinegar and a rag but it does not seem to be having much affect.

I get the impression that I am not the first to face this type of problem and this I am posting here.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
That's always tough. Wire brush away what you can. Maybe use a dremel or wirebrush attachment in your drill. Use eye protection when doing this overhead. You can dissolve the calcified deposits using vinegar and spray some penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench or PB blaster) to help with the seized bolts. Sometimes a little jarring will break it free too. Use a nail punch to direct the impact to the nut w/o damaging threads or bending the bolt. Depending on what you're doing, perhaps cut off the bolt/supply line below the nut and use a deep socket on your ratchen with a cheater bar. Good luck.

Jason

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you are tearing it out, you might be able to cut off any long part of it and use a deep 6-point socket. With that you should be able to twist off the bolt.

Liquid Wrench and heat are often helpful in removing a tough nut.

Another trick is to try to TIGHTEN the nut just a bit first. There is often less corrosion in the tightening direction and if you can crack it loose, you have less to overcome when taking it off.

Another possibility is to rip the faucet apart from the top and work with a drill to cut things loose. You will of course want to avoid damaging the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks