Blue painters tape??

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It's been a lot of years since I've taken on a lengthy painting project as the one I just finished.
I did plenty of masking back then as well. You just can't avoid it unfortunately.
Naturally I had to buy a lot of needed prep items that I did not own.

Along with mud knives, and brushes and sand paper was a couple rolls of 79 cent masking tape from big box.

I do not understand why anyone would $pend money on that blue stuff. What am I missing?
Maybe for really expensive finishes or..?

Who is the guy that decided painters need their own blue tape?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very simple. 3M can up with a tape that will come off without sticking even after an extended time. Old style masking tape would leave a mess if not promptly removed. The blue stuff is awesome for painting.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Did some painting to the exterior here in like June and realized like last week that the tape was still on over one of the widows. How I missed that blue stripe, I dunno. Came off like a charm, even after baking on in the sun all summer. Regular masking tape would have baked on and flaked off w/ the glue still stuck.

You can also put the blue tape on fresh paint and it won't take it off.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
That blue stuff is worth every penny. Once you use it, you will never use the cheap stuff ever again.
They make a green tape, for automotive, that is even better.

Prashster

Reaction score
Definitely don't skimp on the tape. Buy the blue stuff. 14-day. I bought the white masking tape once. It was hard to remove and peeled a lot of the adjacent paint.

Here's the best way to use tape to paint:

1) Paint the trim and ceiling first. Wait at least a day to let the paint thoroughly dry.
2) Tape the trim and ceiling and press it with your fingers or a putty knife. Then paint the seam btn the trim and the tape with the trim paint again. All tape can bleed, and 'priming the seam' with the trim/ceiling paint seals it.
3) Wait of course for the trim paint to dry, THEN paint your wall. Paint very thinly close to the tape to avoid drip when you remove the tape.
4) Remove the tape immediately after painting. Don't worry about a 2nd coat this close to the edge. You can touch light spots with a brush. It's important to remove the tape b4 it dries else it could peel. If you HAVE to wait for an extended time b4 removal, then score the seam with a razor first.

While we're on the subject, don't skimp on brushes or paint either. Both make a huge difference in the application and finish.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
OK. So, basically what I'm hearing is that my painting experience along 75 cents will get me a cup of coffee and I'm a complete and utter ass for starting a thread like this. :D

I have no problem with that. Why don't you just say so.

Im still not buying any blue tape...LOL

Lakee911

Reaction score
I actually prefer not use tape when I can avoid it. Why fuss around w/ tape for 2 hours if I can do my cutting-in in the same two hours w/o tape? Comes out just as nice, just takes longer.

Real good painters and real bad painters don't use tape and it shows ;)

Jason

maddfrog

Reaction score
I'd agree with Lakee911

My grandfather spent his life painting houses - inside and out. He was a firm believer that a skilled and patient painter nearly always achieves better results in less time when cutting in w/o tape. You end up with a 'softer' edge, which is less noticable to the eye and hides imperfections much better. No matter how much care you take w/ or w/o tape, there will always be imperfections and they will stand out much more against the rigid line formed by tape.

That said, there are occasions where tape makes the job much easier, especially where access is restricted or just as an added layer of precaution. In those cases, blue tape wins hands-down for the reasons others have already stated.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
maddfrog said:
My grandfather spent his life painting houses - inside and out. He was a firm believer that a skilled and patient painter nearly always achieves better results in less time when cutting in w/o tape. You end up with a 'softer' edge, which is less noticable to the eye and hides imperfections much better. No matter how much care you take w/ or w/o tape, there will always be imperfections and they will stand out much more against the rigid line formed by tape.

That said, there are occasions where tape makes the job much easier, especially where access is restricted or just as an added layer of precaution. In those cases, blue tape wins hands-down for the reasons others have already stated.

Well, your grandfather was right. I can cut most lines. You have to have the knack. That being said- I would'nt be without a 12 inch "mud knife" which is fast and efficient once you learn to use it right.

Seriously,I should have said the Blue tape is overpriced--because no doubt it's a good product.
All my posts are referring to interior painting in hot dry desert weather.
I have very little exterior house painting experience.

The masking tape just seems to work really well under these conditions and I also like it because it's paper thin.

I can see where leaving it on long term and outside could cause some problems especially with high humidity(?)

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mike, I don't work for 3M, so I don't care if you buy the blue tape or not. Your question was why the blue. This was answered I think pretty well. If you choose not use it or any tape, that's up to you.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Mike50 said:
Seriously,I should have said the Blue tape is overpriced--because no doubt it's a good product.

Yes, it is a good product for the right applications.

Mike50 said:
I can see where leaving it on long term and outside could cause some problems especially with high humidity(?)

Nope, on most of the summer. Came off fine. Standard masking tape woulda been a mess.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
Yes, it is a good product for the right applications.

Nope, on most of the summer. Came off fine. Standard masking tape woulda been a mess.

No, you're right. I wasn't clear. My guess is the masking tape could get messy in humidity. It probably a has cheaper mastic. And I could see where you'd want the blue stuff for professional applications.

I helped renovate an old 4 story hotel with a small crew of skilled and semi-skilled guys many years ago. I painted much of that hotel myself. We were on a ridiculously tight budget as it was a non-profit deal. We donated our time
and other stuff too.
Masking tape is all I know.

It's all new to me as up until about 7 years ago I always rented and leased homes. Now I'm a homeowner with an acre of land. Repairs and upgrades are an ongoing learning process. Buying many products are no-brainers for many here. To me it's one big trial and error mystery.

I'm just frugal and want value for my money. Tape for 4-5 dollars versus 79 cents is a big gap. I'm trying the blue stuff on the next room I paint.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The non-easy release masking tape can really make a mess of things sometimes. The biggest advantage of the Scotch blue stuff is that the adhesive doesn't stick stronger as you leave it on for what might be extended timeframes. I made the mistake of leaving some on for a week (the tan, normal stuff). It was on old paint, I was working on some wood trim. The masking tape pulled the old paint off the wall since it didn't want to release.

I've left the blue stuff on for extended times, and it still peals off easily without messing up the underlying paint.

I think that if you are conscientious about removing it as soon as you can, it doesn't make that big a difference.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have to be honest here. This 2-tone trim I'm painting required a lot of taping. Taping TWICE if you get my meaning...

If I had used the masking tape in these tight nooks and cranys...it could have been a problem with layers of tape overlapping...

For many general usage interior situations I still think the cheap stuff works *OK*....

mal7014

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
Very simple. 3M can up with a tape that will come off without sticking even after an extended time. Old style masking tape would leave a mess if not promptly removed. The blue stuff is awesome for painting.

Agreed. It's the only stuff I use. Well worth the cost.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
OK. So, basically what I'm hearing is that my painting experience along 75 cents will get me a cup of coffee and I'm a complete and utter ass for starting a thread like this. :D

I have no problem with that. Why don't you just say so.

Im still not buying any blue tape...LOL

Well, 75 cents would not get much coffee at Starbucks, and no one is forcing you to buy blue tape. A Ferrari will get you to work just like a Geo will, but some people just prefer to spend their money on something a little, or a lot, better, which is why Ferrari is still in business.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear enough HJ. My opinion changed during the job I finished. That quote is from over a month ago. I started using blue tape for detail trim work.

Mike50

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I've gotten to the point where I don't mask anymore. I paint the ceiling, then walls, then trim. Don't have to mask the trim from drips or splatter since I will paint it last anyway.

Past few weeks I've been painting double hung sash mullions by hand with no masking. Looks good if I don't mind saying. ;)

Prashster

Reaction score
chassis said:
Past few weeks I've been painting double hung sash mullions by hand with no masking. Looks good if I don't mind saying. ;)

Let's see a pic, Jedi.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks