(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue painters tape??

OK. So, basically what I'm hearing is that my painting experience along 75 cents will get me a cup of coffee and I'm a complete and utter ass for starting a thread like this.

I have no problem with that. Why don't you just say so.

Im still not buying any blue tape...LOL

Well, 75 cents would not get much coffee at Starbucks, and no one is forcing you to buy blue tape. A Ferrari will get you to work just like a Geo will, but some people just prefer to spend their money on something a little, or a lot, better, which is why Ferrari is still in business.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough HJ. My opinion changed during the job I finished. That quote is from over a month ago. I started using blue tape for detail trim work.

Mike50

I've gotten to the point where I don't mask anymore. I paint the ceiling, then walls, then trim. Don't have to mask the trim from drips or splatter since I will paint it last anyway.

Past few weeks I've been painting double hung sash mullions by hand with no masking. Looks good if I don't mind saying.

A steady hand, that you must have.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis
    Past few weeks I've been painting double hung sash mullions by hand with no masking. Looks good if I don't mind saying.
    Let's see a pic, Jedi.
    (important note: I'm not a pro)

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Yeah, and a nice close-up one, too. Although I will admit I've seen real painters who can cut a ceiling line 2 feet at a time that looks terrific -- much better than a masked line of most amateurs. One of them says he's used the same brush for 35 years.

Masking tape is for sissys LOL
    I am not much of a painter but I can cut in a decent line without tape. I am just slow and could never make a living at it. I think it is easier than masking. But, inside corners are a challange for me. A high quality brush helps immensely. The better the brush, the better it holds/flows the paint at the tip.

Honestly, I only mask around stuff like carpet. My work isn't perfect. But, I think it looks better than masking. By the way, I have a hard time masking a line. Good tape helps. Mosy of the time I try masking, I give-up and paint without it.

OK guys, caveat here - these are exterior sashes and you can't see the munton bars that well from the sidewalk. At least that's my theory. Also, I'm not doing a 100% replacement on the glazing compound, only where it needs it. So a pic would only show you that I've painted a perfect line over bumpy old glazing compound and the previous painter's paint.

I will declare that I have zero cleanup of paint on the glass panes. Not trying to dodge the challenge, but my point is *my* paint job is great, but the foundation I am painting on isn't the best. I use a 1 1/2" tapered trim brush, and hold it like a pencil. Fairly wet and bend the bristles fairly well. Don't paint with the "feathers" or tips of the bristles. I put the brush against the trim (bent bristles), then let the brush "fall" with gravity, sliding on the paint film. My hand is only guiding the brush as it falls, I'm not pulling or pushing it. This technique is for the vertical bars. Horizontal ones you need to pull the brush, but keep the bristles bent.

I think the true test, which is highly visible, is the wall-ceiling juncture. I don't think a close up photo is fair because you don't look at the ceiling with your nose bumping into it. Your dinner guests will not climb up on their chairs and inspect the cut-in job on the ceiling. They will simply admire your perfect (in appearance) work from the comfort of the table, sipping their coffee. No flaws will be evident from normal viewing distances. I had a team of pros paint the inside of my house when we moved in, and even they aren't perfect.
    Last edited by chassis; 09-22-2006 at 08:07 PM.