Anchoring Copper Water Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

silverfox

Like to build Frank Lloyd Wright Houses
Reaction score
OK....I'm installing the shower pipes and I have been anchoring the pipes with the copper "U" shaped pipe holders to wood blocks that are screwed to the studs or sill plates. This is so I don't get rattles & other noise when turning the shower faucet on and off. I notice, though, that if I bang on the pipes I sometimes get a creak between the pipe and wood so I have been putting rubber gasket material between the pipe and the wood. Are there better ways of doing this ?? I've heard that some people leave the pipes free and just stuff insulation in the holes where the pipes go through the studs and plates. Tell me the best way to do this so I will have a noise free installation in the shower and other fixtures. I'm a freak when it comes to unnecessary noise.
Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this subject.
Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make plastic "pipe insulators" that are quieter than the metal straps.

Most plumbers drill 1-3/8" holes so they can use these.
Anything from a 1/2" to 1" pipe will work with them that way.

silverfox

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. But...Sorry...I'm not sure I understand your answer. These pipe insulators......do you mean those foam rubber pipe covers? And...should I use those in the holes drilled for the pipe's passage through a stud or plate? Is what I am doing now ok? Will the expansion and contraction of the pipes make noises the way I'm now doing it? Again...I apologize for not understanding your reply. I like to make the pipes solid and I have seen plumbers do it the way I'm doing it but it seems that maybe a pipe held against wood isn't a great idea. Especially against wood that is attached to studs and plates. I don't know if my putting rubber gasket material between the pipe and wood is going to help but that's what I have been doing. I like to do things right. I have even been using perforated straps (Hold-Rites) for pipes coming out of the walls. If the way I'm doing it is pretty much standard procedure then I will carry on this way. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something radically wrong.
Thanks.
Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
anchors

Your way is so time consuming that few contractors would do it. I use full circle plastic anchors that surround the pipe and they have tabs to fasten to the stud or joist.

silverfox

Reaction score
THANKS hj....I think that's maybe someting I've been looking for. I hope Ace has them. I'm out in the boonies here but there is a large Ace store nearby. And a couple of plumbing outfits. I'll see if I can find those. Thanks again!
Mike

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Damn, HJ has always got good answers.

I always look to see what his answers are..........................K

silverfox

Reaction score
I found a couple of versions of what hj recommended...they're the cat's tail!
Thanks again hj.
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks