Shallow Well Pump Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

vote4pedro

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Well and Pumps so I could use all the help that anyone can give me.
Here's my problem. I have a 1,550 gal. water tank that I use primarily for washing clothes. I have a 1HP stainless steel shallow well pump that has a 5 gal. pressure tank built onto the pump. The pump is a Central Machinery and I bought from Harbor Freight. The pump is losing pressure, for about a month I have been putting air in the tank to keep the correct pressure. When the pump is not in use the pressure will go to (0). Now I can't even use the pump at all, When I put air in the tank, I lose it instantly. The pressure slowly goes to zero (0) and I can hear it bubbling back into the water tank. I have no idea what could be wrong. I would greatly appreciate any advise on this.

Just to give you some idea how I have everything setup.
I have the 1,550 gal. water tank, water line runs into a check valve, that goes into the pump/5gal. pressure tank, then that comes out the outtake side into a filter, and then into the house.

Thanks again for the help and time.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is that the problem is the 1 HP pump with 5 gallon tank from Harbor Freight. Is this what you have? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47906

Where do you put air in the tank? Via the water line? Or into a separate air valve on the tank?

If into the tank, and it immediately bubbles into the supply tank then you have both a bladder failure (if it ever had a bladder) and a check valve failure.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like The pressure/bladder tank has failed and needs to be replaced.

vote4pedro

Reaction score
Bob NH,
This is exactly the pump that I have.
I put air into the tank bladder by a separate air valve on the tank. How would I know if the tank has a bladder? What Should be the steps on what to check first?

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A tank that is horozontal and has an outlet at the end must have a bladder or it would not contain the air.

If you can get water into it, and depress the pin in the air valve, you will probably get water coming out of the valve. That would indicate no bladder or failed bladder.

The bolted flange on the end suggests the presence of a bladder. You could probably unbolt the flange and inspect it. I can't gaurantee that you would be able to replace it without causing a leak. I'm quite sure that you would not be able to get a replacement for the bladder.

I would not spend much on fixing a $70 pump system. If you have gotten a year of service with it, you probably got all it was worth.

vote4pedro

Reaction score
New pump system help

Hello,

I'm needing some advise on a new pump system to buy. I had the 1 HP pump with a 5 gallon tank from Harbor Freight
( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47906 )
This system came with the pump and the bladder tank, so I guess I would need the whole system setup. I have a 1550 gal. water tank that I use as my water source to the pump.
I would appreciate any help and advise on what you guys recommend for a pump/bladder tank system.

Also the pump and tank system that I have now, since it is just the bladder tank this is bad, could the pump be taken off the bladder tank and still be used on a new bladder tank?

Thanks again

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you keep buying pumps like you have shown us, you will keep having the same problems.

Good pumps and tanks cost more than what your buying. For $69.99, you can't expect to get much life from it. And you certainly can't find any replacement parts. Even if you could, you would need metric wrenches to work on it.

bob...

vote4pedro

Reaction score
Need some guidance please

What would be a good system that you guys would recommend? All advise and directions on setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are a lot of brands out here but you won't find them in the places you are looking. You will have to go to a well drilling/pump supply, or buy off the internet. I sell a very good pump, made by National Pump Co. There are many other brands as well. But your looking to start at $250.00 just for a pump. Then add a good tank to it and you can add another $130.00 or so.

bob...

lewispaul

Reaction score
Using an external tank if the pump runs

I have a 3/4 hp harbor freight pump. The bladder has also failed, but the pump actually works well. I simply installed an external tank on the pressure side. If you don't want to use the water for drinking, any pressurized tank will work, just mount it vertically. It will, in time, lose air too. As I use my system for irrigation only, periodically I shut off my system, and let it all bleed down, emptying the tank completely. Then it works 'good as new'. You can also buy a small bladder type tank very reasonably.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks