Washing Machine Drain- vent needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
My washing machine (laundry) drains into a concrete tub currently, this tub connects into the drain pipe that comes down from the kitchen sink, there is a vent up from the kitchen sink drain out the roof. After the laundry tub the pipe goes down under the slab and over to the main. I'm planning to finish the laundry and wanted to put the drain directly into a 2" pipe that would include a trap and then T into the pipe that comes down from the kitchen.
I'm wondering if I'd need a separate vent for this set-up just for the washer? If necessary could I use one of those vent valves (Studor)?

Prashster

Reaction score
I believe if the wm drain hose terminates to open air; that is, if it terminates in the tub, you don't need to vent it.

There's no direct connection to the sewer, so you don't need a trap. Because the drain is not directly connected to any traps, there's no need to have a vent.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
What I'm talking about is actually putting the wash. machine drain hose directly into a drain pipe, that would include a trap.
That's why I'm wondering if I need a vent?
Like I said I guess it wouldn't hurt to use a studor.

Prashster

Reaction score
A pro will chime in, but I'm pretty sure that you WILL need a vent if you go directly into the tub drain. In fact, I'm doubtful an AAV will be sufficient, because of the velocity and volume of water ejected by the washer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you cut a tee into the kitchen waste in the basement,
yes, you will need to vent it.

A studor will work for that.
Or it could have been hard vented in at 42" above the 2nd floor with a revent.

Without the vent, the kitchen above can siphon away your trap seal in the basement.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I look into the Studor, I know there's restrictions like not closing it in behind a wall. But might be the best option though since getting a vent out would require a lot of demolition.

One other issue related to this. The pipe coming down from the kitchen is steel (looks like galvanized), it doesn't leak or look rusty.
Wonder how long something like that will last?
The house was built in 1957 and I assume this is original. It goes into the floor into a cast iron.
If I did try to replace my issue would be how to deal with where it connects to the cast iron?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks