How do I know.....

Users who are viewing this thread

MaddieMom6

Reaction score
Ok.. this is a fair game question.. how do I am Mrs. Old-House-Homeowner know when a plumber is right when each one we talk to gives us a differnt option/opinion?

I am well aware of my plumbing problems on one side of my house but the other side flows fine, does not get blocked up and just plain well fucntions. BUT when you look at it in the basement you can see that over this house's 100 years many many hands have worked their *magic* on that system. The house was added on to back in the 50's and then the 80's. Taking it from a bit under 1 thousand square feet to well over 4 thousand right now. There is a plumbing Christmas tree in the basement that stops many plumbers in their tracks and most want to fix it. Should I fix it if it's working.. flowing, flushing.

Basically what it amounts to is a very large run of PVC going down into a cast iron hub in the basment floor.. all manor of connections are tied into that run of PVC that goes all the way up to our third floor and the connections in the basment level are on a level only truly appreciated by Rude Goldburg..and yet like I said.. it flows and flushes so I am not inclined to do much right now but am never sure what to say to plumbers when they are here. Maybe there is a reason to do something but since they all keep harping on houw ugly it all is I keep getting the idea that it's asthetics more than function in this case.

* As a note we are talking to plumbers beacuse of a problem on the other side of the house and the fact that we are finally getting around to removing the second kitchen from our house and having a new bathroom put in.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Maddie

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piping

No way to tell whether it is aesthetics, function, or an upcoming truck payment behind their desire to change it. A picture might help, but more likely it would take someone on site checking the entire installation.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Plan to replace, then wait until necessary

i'll suggest a prudent approach.

Post pictures and let people comment. You'll find out whether visiting plumbers used appropriate terminology to describe the flaws. Sooner or later, if and or when a real problem happens, you will already know enough about the diagnosis to judge among alternatives (if any).

Maddie, I'll bet there are some things that are not quite right, based on your description. Do they "need" to be fixed? When the eventual problem happens, it is a bit too late -- but that may be your timeframe since the whole contraption seems too much to re-do and you haven't any clear reason to start undoing it all.

david

MaddieMom6

Reaction score
geniescience said:
Maddie, I'll bet there are some things that are not quite right, based on your description. Do they "need" to be fixed? When the eventual problem happens, it is a bit too late -- but that may be your timeframe since the whole contraption seems too much to re-do and you haven't any clear reason to start undoing it all.

david

David I am QUITE sure that some things are not quite right or perhaps the word is "proper" but that does seem to be the theme song of our house. The things we have found have been enough to curl even the most silky straight locks! Just for grins I will tell you one. It seems that the people who owned this place used it for a rental and the OH SO FINE renters decided that it would be really cool to have a pass through fireplace by just bashing out the back of the old fireplace and slapping a mantle around it. Well this caused a mighty nasty fire that the OWNERS then covered up and hid in a mighty fine way. That is until we went to lay a fire on a cold winter night. In preperation for that I went to clean out the firs place and then really looked to the back of it and thought...wow ..that looks like drywall!.. so I reached back and son of a gun..it was DRYWALL!... and that is when we found out about the pass through thing.. <head slap>

It's always an adventure!
Maddie

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I built my house 10 yrs ago, and I know all the dumb, half-assed things I've done to this place in just 10 yrs. I can't imagine what suprises lie behind the walls of a 100 yr old house.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
yea buddy

hj said:
No way to tell whether it is aesthetics, function, or an upcoming truck payment behind their desire to change it. A picture might help, but more likely it would take someone on site checking the entire installation.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Sounds like the previous owner's gene pool didn't have deep end.

I'm waiting to hear that the hot water heater is actually a converted whiskey still and you have liquor coming out of the shower on a good day. lol

MaddieMom6

Reaction score
Mike50 said:
HAHAHAHAHA.

Sounds like the previous owner's gene pool didn't have deep end.

I'm waiting to hear that the hot water heater is actually a converted whiskey still and you have liquor coming out of the shower on a good day. lol

I should be so lucky!!!!... the most dangerous thing we have found so far are the extension cords that were used in the wall as wiring!!!!!!!!... It floors me that we all did not die in a firey blaze!

Second runner up would be the fact the they removed the center beam in the basement so they could put in an automatic garage door opener!!!!..that part of the house had TWO stories added to it...:eek:

But for all of it it's a beautiful house and it gets better each year as we find and fix things that need it. I just got finished not long ago putting a mosaic border of broken antique dishes around the bath and another mosaic around the sink back splash.. the pretty stuff makes it tolerable to do the work that costs the most and no one will ever say boo about .. that is until it stops flushing or flowing :)

Maddie

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
maddiemom6 said:
I should be so lucky!!!!... the most dangerous thing we have found so far are the extension cords that were used in the wall as wiring!!!!!!!!... It floors me that we all did not die in a firey blaze!

Second runner up would be the fact the they removed the center beam in the basement so they could put in an automatic garage door opener!!!!..that part of the house had TWO stories added to it...:eek:

But for all of it it's a beautiful house and it gets better each year as we find and fix things that need it. I just got finished not long ago putting a mosaic border of broken antique dishes around the bath and another mosaic around the sink back splash.. the pretty stuff makes it tolerable to do the work that costs the most and no one will ever say boo about .. that is until it stops flushing or flowing :)

Maddie

Just out of curiosity, and not knowing how recently you've purchased this house, have you ever had the whole house professionally inspected? It would scare me to death to find the 2 things you've mentioned above, and I would want to know what other little surprises lurk under the surface.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I was replacing a water line into a house and found the old line was connected underground for about 10" with some kind of black rubber hose and hose clamps that had partialy hardned. It had held for quite a few years but was "bleeding" at that point.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I've heard a story of about someone stealing water from a neighbors well and running a garden hose to their house--buried of course!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks