Acrylic whirlpool tub refinishing?

Users who are viewing this thread

vickii

Reaction score
Thinking of having tub refinished due to cracks rather than replacing--it is just a cosmetic thing. How does the finish last? Is it worthwhile to do this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, I'd wonder why it cracked? If these are numerous small spider cracks on the bottom, then (while not required) it probably didn't have the bottom reinforced or set in mortar (highly recommended for most tubs to make it firm). If it is from dropping the shampoo bottle, that is another thing.

I've never done it. My father had a tub recovered (it was hard to find one thatwould fit where the old one was), so he did that. Basically, that was an entire new (thin) shell inserted and bonded to the existing tub. It looks pretty good. It is hard to get a great long-lasting, durable finish outside of the factory. My unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks