How To Repair Broken Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ewstan

Reaction score
Gentlepeople,

I have atteched, I think, an image of a broken PVC pipe. The pipe goes to the tub drain and connects to the socket in a 3" 90 degree fitting in the bathroom plumbing. The break is just to the left of the electrical cable.

Is there an acceptable way to repair this break without replacing the 3" fitting?

Thanks,

Wray

Attachments

• Broken Pipe.jpg
    Broken Pipe.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 854

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The smaller fitting can be chipped out of the larger fitting.

It's cut flush with the hub, then two small cuts in the pipe which allows you to pry out with a flatblade screwdriver the small cut.

Then you work around the pipe, prying as you go.
You should be able to pry the pipe fitting out of the hub.

dwpecksr

Reaction score
Website
www.dalestrenchless.com
repair 2"

Terry is correct and they also make a special drill that will drill out the fitting. I do pipe lining and I could fix this from the outside mixing my epoxy and using a patch of liner material.

Dale :) :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

If you try to cut the piece out of the fitting, place a hose clamp around the outside and tighten it so that it creates a compressive force to minimize the chance of the fitting breaking.

Ewstan

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

I've always assumed that once PVC was glued together the pieces became as "one". You're saying that if I cut a slot in the section of pipe left in the socket I can break the bond between the pipe and the socket?

If I decide to use one of the other suggested fixes, are the epoxy, pipe liner, and drill something that HD or Lowes would carry? Plumbing supply places are basically non-existant where I live.

Wray

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wray,

You are looking for a Ram Bit.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewstan

Reaction score
PEW said:
Wray,

You are looking for a Ram Bit.

Paul

Paul,

The Ram bit did a great job. Thanks for the tip.

Wray

Last edited by a moderator:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wray,

My pleasure. Glad it worked out for you.

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks