water tank problem

Users who are viewing this thread

tryin

Reaction score
After taking a 10 minute shower this morning, I went to the basement and noticed there was a gallon or so of water on the floor and water trickling out of where the hot and cold water pipes connect at the top of the water heater. Not sure if it is the TP&R valve because the water is not leaking from there.
After draining a couple of gallons from the water heater and waiting for about an hour for the system to settle down, I turned the water back on. To my dismay the problem seems to be getting worse! Water came gushing out of the top of the tank.
The tank is almost 6 yers old but is in good shape. I had a water softner system installed shortly after the house was built in 1999. Flushed the system but the water was clear with only a few sediments. Anybody have a solution or comment?

Paul

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry, but what do you mean " the top of the water heater "? Can you be more specific?

Is the T & P directed to the floor?

If water is coming from under the jacket, then replace the W/H.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You say the water heater is in. "good shape." What do you base this opinion on? It sounds to me like there is a definite problem with it unless you can pin the leak down to the T/P Valve. It should be piped from the top of the tank to the floor, so if it releases, the water will go to the floor and not on top of the tank.

tryin

Reaction score
What I mean by the top is where the hot and cold water pipes connect into the top of the water tank.
Yes, the TP&R valve point towards the floor. It is side mounted to the tank.
As far as the jacket goes... I take it you mean the outer metal skin?? If I am on the same page as you with terminology then yes it is leaking from under the jacket.

tryin

Reaction score
water heater

The pressure will only release through the top jacket where the cold and hot water pipes conncect to the tank. Pressure builds up and until it comes gushing out of the top at the pipe connection; not through the T & P.
By "good shape" I meant as far as rust or sediment buildup.
If I need to replace the W/H should I install a expansion tank too?

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like it is new HW tank time. As to adding an expansion tank, that depends: do you have a check valve or pressure reduction valve near your input to the house? IF so, then yes, add a tank. Otherwise, it is not needed. An expansion tank is only needed if the house is a closed system - closed meaning that once water comes in, it cannot expand back to the supply. This is caused by a check valve in the water meter, a separate check valve, or a pressure reduction valve (prv).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks