PEX Directional Fittings vs Flow Volume

Users who are viewing this thread

NaplesX5

Reaction score
We are in the middle of a bathroom renovation and the contractor is using the Vanguard red & blue PEX tubing. In the shower plumbing, there are a few spots that look like he has used more directional fittings than needed. Will this affect the flow or pressure of our system?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Every time you add an elbow, you increase the friction, which can affect the volume. It's hard to say if it will be enough to make you notice. One of the beauties of pex is you can avoid most connections to change direction. It does take a little planning, and to many plumbers, it looks sloppy, but it works better.

NaplesX5

Reaction score
It seemed to me that was the advantage...that you could bend and flex this pipe, unlike copper, so that you could eliminate needless connections.

If it were your renovation, would you request that the, obvious needless, connections be removed?

Thanks

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Yes. Always minimize the number of connections -- that's where most failures occur.

mn_nobody

Reaction score
you don't know what the plumber is contending with. he most certainly knows about friction loss, even though its fairly minimal with pex. that said, and considering the price of fittings, he didn't use a single fitting he didn't need. so, i'd say if your really at a loss of sleep, ask him to explain his work, otherwise assume its correct. if its not, and it breaks (which it most likely will not) his insurance/bond will cover you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks