House trap

Users who are viewing this thread

billb

Reaction score
Im building a new house and decided to try doing the plumbing myself. I found a lot of helpful books (including code books) and talked to a local plumber. He thinks I need a trap in the main drain before it leaves the house and goes into the septic tank. I dont see anything in the books on this. Im wondering if sludge will build up in there and also if the septic tank needs to vent.

Thanks, i really appreciate it.
Bill

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

What code are you under? What does your code say? I do not know of a code that requires a whole house trap and I see no reason for one and alot of reasons not to have one. What is his reasoning to add one? And I would say that the addition of a whole house trap should be about the least of your questions.
I would reconsider the decision to plumb your own place. Ask some of the inspectors about home owner plumbed houses ;-)
I have gone in with a saw-z-all more times that I like to mention and cut out ALL the drain and venting in a home owner plumbed home and thrown it away. Unless you REALLY understand the code book in regards to drainage and venting, you should consider saving money somewhere else.
There really is alot to it.
Deb
The Pipewench

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

I have never installed a house trap, but I have removed a whole bunch of them for that very reason. In addition, even if it is not where the stoppage occurs, a snake will not pass through it so you would need additional "cleanout points" in order to work around it. a second point is that the trap could turn the septic tank into a closed system that would prevent proper drainage unless an additional vent were installed between the tank and the trap. A house trap is something you would only install if the local code required it, and then should be remove after the inspection.

dwpecksr

Reaction score
Website
www.dalestrenchless.com
I have installed many a house trap on long Island. Suffolk county required them. What a pain. All they do is prevent oder from the city main or septic system to come back into the house if you have a dry trap or someone (homeowner) installs a fixture without a trap.vent all fixtures and trap all fixtures as required by code. Since moving to ks I have not installed one in 30 years. Use tees in the septic tank and a 12" drop pipe on the inlet and an 18" drop pipe on the outlet.throw the house trap in the junk pile.
Dale :) :)

billb

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick and helpful replies. There is a lot more to the venting and draining then I realized. But I like doing it. Maybe I can do this for a living when I grow up.

Thanks,
Bill

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Trap Districts

I do have trap districts in Wichita. This is city main and not septic which is the subject on the originating post. Traps are installed here on the older mains that get filled to capacity. Our sewer department says these lines can blow and/or suck out the traps in a house at times. Also they think the running traps help the city mains flow better.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
I'll Check

hj I'm going to recheck on the reasoning for the trap districts since you have such a firm opinion. And thanks for identifying yourself Dale. I sit on the Wichita Plumbing Board and recall the information we received from you when we approved a form of the trenchless pipe-bursting technique.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks