I hate !$*&#@ bladder tanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Raucina

Reaction score
What is your experience with the sears captive air tanks? [or thers] For me, they blow out every 3 years on schedule [the internal bag] even with air pressure maintenance. THEN, all the slop and sludge and goop from the cheap, unlined tank blows into your system, wrecking the clean piping. I have iron bacteria, so this really sends a storehouse of crap into the house. I have started to use them for culverts, much better application. How about changing the bag? I had a guy quit on the spot that was helping me with that. Said he would rather work at the slaughterhouse.... The best tank I have is glasslined with a floating disk - but one must have a good way to add air - another problem. any solutions? ongoing suffering?

Speedbump

Reaction score
It is just not a good tank. Flexcon is a good tank. And will last a long time. Home Depot, Sears, Graingers, Lowes etc. All sell this tank. We call them Bic tanks. They are made by Sta-Rite who has been swallowed up by Pentair as have many other companies and have never been a reliable tank.

But a good tank and you will be happy ever after.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

Bladders wear out from cycling on and off. The bladder goes up and down continuously and breaks just like breaking a wire from bending it back and forth. Even bad or "cheap" tanks will last longer if you don't let your pump cycle on and off all the time. Tank and pump companies love it when you let your pump cycle, that is why you won't hear them mention a Cycle Stop Valve.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Some manufacturers have replaced the bladder tank with a diaphragm tank. There's no bag to rub the inside of the tank, only a flexible membrane. I've been installing Goulds HydroPro tanks for 6 years (made by A.O. Smith) and haven't had to replace one yet. Goulds introduced a diaphragm tank that is a little cheaper, but I've stayed with the HydroPro.
Of course, setting up a diaphragm tank correctly and checking the air once in a while is imperative to good life and operation. Sizing it correctly helps with both the pump and tank life.
Ron

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't overfill the bladder tank

One thing that causes bladder tank failures is that some of them are only supposed to be filled to as little as 40% of the tank volume. Overfilling, that results from too little air in the tank, causes premature failure.

You MUST have the air setting correct, and not overpressure the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks