how to install a new valve body in tub and shower

Users who are viewing this thread

don wagner

Reaction score
After removing and disposing of my old tub and shower fixtures, I discoved that the new valve body instructions show the water pipes coming up from the slab and connecting. My water pipes come down from the attic and I would have to turn the valve body upside down to install.Is that ok or will it mess up the way the water is diverted from tub spout to shower? This a three handle fixture.

don

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some valves can flip their guts around. If you can't do that, your hot and cold would be reversed...best to just run the water around and come in from where it was designed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

A three handle valve has a positive shutoff for the shower/tub ports so inverting it will not cause the problem with water from the shower head would if you used a diverter spout. If you use lever handles you will want to reverse them so they operate in the proper direction. The hot and cold will not be reversed. But, a three handle valve is no longer "legal" for a shower unless it has a pressure balancing unit installed with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks