Can one have too many shut off valves ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've got a 3/4 pipe that comes into my boiler room. From the main feed, a coupler converts it to 1/2. Boiler, Hot Water Tank , etc - all feeds are 1/2".

The hot water tank serves the entire house. My issue has always been shutting down water due to lack of shut off valves for floors/zones and also sinks, etc.

Do you guys think this is overkill - shut off valve from the main water feed coming into boiler room and also the following

shut offs

- water tank inlet and outlet
- boiler feed
- both hot and water shut off where it splits to server the basement and the the 1st and 2nd floor ?

Or just throw a shut off valve at the tank inlet/outlet and also one on the main outlet in the boiler room.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Anytime you can isolate a fixture or section of the house it is a good thing. Remember, if you close a valve everything down stream of it shuts down and some fixtures upstream just won't work because the water is no longer flowing, so you can over kill on shutoff valves. The bigger the house the more convienent it becomes when draining down a line. I have had water lines that have taken 45 min. or longer for the water to stop running. Fixtures that are replaced or areas of a house that are serviced on a regular basis should have at least 1.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

As long a the valves are full port ones that do not introduce turbulence or pressure losses, then how many you use depends on how much you want to spend.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread! I've wondered the same thing, but have gone ahead and added some full-port ball valves at strategic places like you mention (where I can isolate 1st and 2nd floors from basement, etc.). It really does come in handy!

Cass said:
Remember, if you close a valve everything down stream of it shuts down and some fixtures upstream just won't work because the water is no longer flowing, so you can over kill on shutoff valves.

Cass, canyou explain that please? I don't understand.
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks