Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Here is the synopsis -

Yesterday - Slight Leak
Mopped Up

Today - Leaking like a sieve
I had to mop up every 10 minutes as we do not have a drain in the location

However, I turned off the pilot and also the inlet feed from 1 PM till 10:30 PM.
I had the pilot turned back on since 10 PM and as of not, it's not leaking at all...

I have a scheduled appt to have the boiler replace. Thoughts, suggestions, etc ? Should I keep this old 40 year dinosaur or replace it with the one that's coming it. Kenmore (AO Conservationist ) model ...... Will it be much more energy efficient ?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You didn't mention exactly where the water was coming from. If it is coming out of the relief valve, the cause could be too-high pressure in the house, and nothing at all wrong with the WH.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Pilot on at 10:00, but did you also turn on the water feed? If the leak is a small one, then it could closed over if the pressure is off to give it a chance to "skin" over.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I could not pinpoint it but it was coming from underneath the unit.

I did notice that it would not leak if the cold water was off.

I turned the pilot on at 10PM and the water feed at 10:30.
Regardless, I'm thinking it's just crud that has skinned over and I should replace it.......it was leaking pretty bad before.

I'm not sure what is generally covered under a normal install but I assume the plumber always needs to end up reworking the pipes a little, to get the fittings to match the boiler.

I'm thinking I may just run out early tomorrow, pick up some ball valves and some fittings.......and finally replace/add stop valves. I've always had to turn the main since there is not a stop valve that stop water to the 1st floor and above......just recently had the kitchen done, and what a PITA turning on/off the main.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks