Toto drake flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

daxathon

Reaction score
I just finished installing a new toto drake elongated ADA model in my downstair powder room. I notice that when I flush, the flapper drops down as soon as I release the handle. It won't stay open and clear the tank. It seems to me like an incomplete flush. Is this the way these toilets are supposed to work? I guess I could get used to holding the handle down, but seems like it would be embarrasing if I had guests using the toilet and it did not flush all the way.

-Sean

http://www.korky.com/Flapper2021BP.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They don't drain the entire tank. They use the water height to give it more head pressure when you do flush. It's probably okay.

daxathon

Reaction score
Problem solved. I bought the blue flapper ($9.89) from lowes. Listed as the power gravity toto flapper from Korky. This flapper stays up longer and gives a more powerful flush.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, you may have just defeated the whole idea of water saving...until you've tried it the way it was designed, you won't believe how well it works. Letting more water down the drain means you're using signficantly more water than designed. The Drake got great results in comparison tests working as designed...None of the new toilets sound like they would work, but many of them do.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm with Jim. I tried a Drake for a weekend at a hotel and at first you think it's malfunctioning because the flapper drops so quickly-- but it is designed that way, and it works.

If it were me, I'd go back to the factory-supplied flapper and just use it a week or two.

TPA

Reaction score
I'm with the others in this forum -- put the original flapper back. I've had 2 Toto Drake toilets & 2 Toto Pacifica toilets in my residences since 2001 and haven't ever needed a plunger. They aren't designed to, nor do they need to use the whole tank for a flush. Indeed, it does seem like it's over before it starts, but this is by design. The Drake sends quite a bit of water beneath the bowl and straight into the trapway to push the waste along, and it sends just a small fraction of water to wash the bowl, which works very well, at least mine have for the past 5+ years.

abak_pacifica.jpg

TOTO Pacifica CST808

D

Dchall_San_Antonio

Yes, return the original red flapper. Korky makes the red one, too.

I suppose, theoretically (and I'm a retired engineer who specialized in fluid flow), you could build a tank that held only 1.6 gallons, but there are at least two reasons for building oversized tanks. One reason for the oversized tank is to develop enough pressure (from the height of the water) to quickly flush the contents away. Once the flush is over, you don't need any more water and the flapper should drop to stop the flow of excess water into the drain. The second reason for an oversized tank is so you can, if you want to, hold the flush handle down longer than it would normally stay open and more water will flow to carry waste away. But I had a Toto Drake for 6 months in a hotel and it never failed to clear on the first flush. As a fluid flow guy, I LOVE the design of that toilet!!

thu175s.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
In the Drake! Interesting. I think the Washlet and the Drake is a nice combo! I see they have also eliminated the cutout for the autoflush cable, which I guess didn't really catch on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks