Suggestions on fixing this

Users who are viewing this thread

Linc

Reaction score
Attached is a picure of my current ejector pump.

Notice the 1/2" pvc coming in from the rear, that is a hacked way that someone is piped AC condensate into this pit. It is draining into the pit, with the lid just sitting right on top of the pvc. Obviously, this lid NEVER was closed or flush.

The left 1.5" pipe is the discharge pipe. The right is the inlet pipe that comes over from the Laundry sink drain. I *believe* the upper part of that pipe is for vent. It extends up into the floor above near the outer wall next to the Kitchen sink drain, but I do not see it under the kitchen sink.

I will be cutting the rusted out lid off, pulling out the non-functioning ejector pump and replacing the pit and pump with a Zoeller M264 and 18"x30" pit.

I am looking for your take on how to fix this setup and make it standard. I will be replacing the discharge pipes with 2" DWV pipes.

Thanks

Attachments

• Shot12.jpg
    Shot12.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 647

Linc

Reaction score
To be clear on my intentions here.

I am replacing a standard (non-sewage) ejector pump with a sewage ejector pump and larger basin now (this weekend). I am doing this b/c the pump died and I want to put in a full basement bath soon.

What I will do later is break up the concrete and install the DWV pipes for the full bath group and tie it into this pit.

Attachments

• Pit Diagram 02.jpg
    Pit Diagram 02.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What is the trap in back there for? The pipe on the right is the vent and there should not be a trap on the line. Is it the trap for the utility sink on the left? Where are you going to run the condensate line that is under the lid?
Is this sewage ejector pump hooked up to a toilet?

Linc

Reaction score
Cass, thanks for your quick reply, I appreciate it.

Cass said:
What is the trap in back there for? The pipe on the right is the vent and there should not be a trap on the line. Is it the trap for the utility sink on the left?
Yes. That trap is for the utility sink, the trap is not under the sink, but staight pipe over to where you see the trap now.

Where are you going to run the condensate line that is under the lid?
Not sure yet - any suggestions?

Is this sewage ejector pump hooked up to a toilet?
Not yet. Right now, I just want to fix the plumbing that is there to make it 'proper' while swapping the broken pump for the sewage ejector pump. For now the sewage ejector pump will only pump non-sewage water.

-Linc

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
so is the pump just being used only for the utility sink and condensate line now and does the washing machine discharge into the utility sink?

Last edited:

Linc

Reaction score
Cass said:
so is the pump just being used only for the utility sink and condensate line now and does the washing machine discharge into the utility sink?

Yes, the pump is only for the utility sink and condensate now. The washing machine does discharge into the utility sink. The water softener also discharges into this sink when it re-generates/charges.

Thanks again,

Linc.

Linc

Reaction score
Futher along now...

I now have the old 18x24 sump pit and broken sump pump out.

The next 'obstacle' I ran into (all experienced plumbers rolling eyes at this point) was the cast iron pipe that was entering the pit from a floor drain. With this pipe extending into the pit, I cannot get the new 18x30 pit into the existing hole.

I can think of a couple ways to deal with this. Looking for suggestions.

Secondly, once I get that figured out, how do I tie the cast pipe into the hub on the 18x30 pit? Remember, this will only function as a sump pit (no sewage) for now.

Thanks,

Linc

Attachments

• Sewage Pit.jpg
    Sewage Pit.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 437
  • Dug out pit 03.jpg
    Dug out pit 03.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 442
  • Overview of Pit.jpg
    Overview of Pit.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Linc

Reaction score
I know, I know, seemed pretty obvious.:eek:

But, would you guys suggest making it bigger on the pipe side, or making it bigger on the opposite side near the foundation wall?

I still will need a way to tie the drain pipe into the 18x30 pit. I did not see any gasket or mechanical fitting on the pit I took out, but it seems if the pipe is just 'directed into' the pit, if the pit backs up, it'll seep into the ground.

Additionally, once I am ready to tie in the (yet to be built and plumbed) basement bath, that pipe will definitely need a water-tight seal to conatin sewage.

Thanks again for any assistance,

Linc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks