Hot Water Tank Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
So my good ole Tragerser Copper Core Heather Tank finally sprung a leak.

I've been wondering when it would.....after hearing so many stories about new tannk and how they tend to spring a leak just right past warranty periods.

Any recommendations for brands I should be looking at for a family of 5. Kids will be moving out soon but the house will be sold down the road possibly. Dunno if it applies but we use Gas....

Chefwong

Reaction score
What about AO ? Most places are around 900 for the AO 12 year.

Sears has it for $875.....and I like that fact that for $80 I get a extended warranty that cover labor.

Any feedback on the sears units ?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personaly I don't like them. I have changed more AOs under warrenty than any other brand. They are builders choice out here. If you like Sear* I would suggest you use them.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I'm not a Sears fanatic but after having issues with my Neptune Washer - I realize on certain things , the extended warranty to cover the labor pays for itself sometimes......

I took your recommendation and am trying local plumbers who carry the Rheem or Bradford...

FWIW, I've called around and most of the plumber in the area install the AO - 10 year for around $900
I finally found another one who did carry Rheem at $780 but this one seemed the most knowledgable - gave me 2 or 3 choices on the 10 year models rather than just one - AO XCV (rapid recovery) - $900 and also the regular at $825.

So far, Sears with 12 years and extended 5 years at $819 doesn't seem that bad.......

I can't let this leak hang out for a week until I find the right plumber and the right tank right ?
It was my understanding that sometimes leaks can just *blow out*..

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They can but is is rare. I have seen brand new heaters have a catastrophic failure, but again it is rare.

I have had people call and tell me their heater has been leaking for months and it is getting to the point that they need to replace it.

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Okay. Thanks for the info. I recall a neighbors blowing out after they heard a *drip drip drip* in the middle of the night.

I would prefer not having 40 Gallons of water in my finished basement :eek:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Just a update. I went with the Sears unit.
They were cheaper than everyone who was selling the 6 or 10 year units and everyone except for 1 place was selling a Rheem unit.

Dunno if it's just a regional based thing.

Sears unit was 12 years & this included 6 years of labor....at a cost that was $50 average less than the 10 year models and did not include 6 years P&L. Dunno how good the Sear plumber is but I'm ready to rework the supply, etc if it looks real sloppy.

Big thanks to CASS !

Chefwong

Reaction score
I'm gonna miss this ole boiler of mine. They just don't make them like they used to.....

Hopefully the new one is ALOT more energy efficient.

This boiler is the original boiler since the house was built which is around 40-50 years ago !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks