sanitization of used Mark 10 with standing water

Users who are viewing this thread

kp2171

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get a used Culligan Mark 10 water softener from a friend.

My concern is sanitization. It has not been used for a few years, theres standing water in the tanks.

So...I can handle the move and the plumbing but what about sanitization? I can empty out the brine tank no problem and bleach it.

The install manual I pulled online says you can sanitize the resin as well using bleach after regenerating once to remove iron (shouldnt be a lot in this water) and then by pouring a cup of bleach into the brine chamber and again manually recharging.

Think this would do the job???

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That should do the job but I would check and see what the avalibility of parts is for that unit. You may only be able to call Culligan for service and parts which will cost you big time. All the Culligan units I have seen were junk. It may work for a while.

kp2171

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

we can basically have this one for free (plus purchased salt and the plumbing supplies) so if its a dud i can yank it and toss.

i just was worried about making sure i could sanitize it well enough before i did the work.

thanks again.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Depending on the volume of resin, a cup may be a bit much but that's how you do it except.... use non-scented bleach and unplug the control for about 15-20 minutes when it has drawn all the bleach (brine) water out of the salt tank. Then plug it back in and allow it to finish the regeneration on its own.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
If it hasn't been used for a few years, then it's gonna be a struggle just to get it to work. There's a lot of little thigs in there that get dried up, sticky, stuck, etc.....
Good luck. And let us know how it goes cuz my Mark 10 is shot!!! :lol:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks