Solder in our lines

Users who are viewing this thread

2Improve

Reaction score
I heard this is the best site to go to for help and the advice is the same so here I go...

Had a friend of a family member, (should have known right there), that installed my shower valve. It took him 9 hours to sweat 6 joints. There is so much excess solder in the lines I have lost a faucet valve and the shut off for the toilet. After taking off the water line to the faucet I ran the water into 5 gallon buckets and alot of pieces came out and after about 30 minutes or so no more seems to be coming out. Is there anything else I can do to get this stuff out of the lines?

Thanks in advance
Kim

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Connection a flex connector to the line and flushing is most of what you can do.

Sometimes, it may need to be backflushed.
The problem with that, is where does it go.

2Improve

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,

Should I repeat the process again for a few weeks or just wait? Kholer was fantastic and send new valves and bodies for free even though it wasn't their product that failed so I am hoping that the new ones don't get ruined as well. More important is the shower valve, that's the one I will have to create an access panel to if it gets messed up. (My daughter will be thrilled to have a big hole in her bedroom wall) I can tile, do electical work and I am much better at plumbing than my helper but drywall repair is not for me.

Kim

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Kohler was real nice to send you free parts like that.

If you do cut the valve out, you can put some tubing over the ends of the pipe, and that would allow you to blow out all of the crud in the pipe.

If you cut the wall, a nice touch are the white plastic repair panels.
You just cut the wall to fit the panel, they come in two sizes, and pop them in.
access_panel_illustration.gif

http://www.fluidmaster.com/access_panel.html

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks