Dead Badger 5 disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My neighbor's Badger 5 disposer won't start. When the switch is turned on, it hums, but the rotor won't spin. It is free and spins easily either with the hex wrench or by hand internally. With a new one only $68 we're not going to spend a lot of time on this, but does anyone know how these things start? Capacitor or centrifugal switch? I've heard stories that they can be made to work by whacking them with a hammer, which suggests the switch, but that's an expensive design. The data plate on this says "Model: 5 71" which suggests it might be 35 years old?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as I know It is a direct drive motor. Just replace it and don't expect 35 years out of the new one.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mikey said:
My neighbor's Badger 5 disposer won't start. When the switch is turned on, it hums, but the rotor won't spin. It is free and spins easily either with the hex wrench or by hand internally. With a new one only $68 we're not going to spend a lot of time on this, but does anyone know how these things start? Capacitor or centrifugal switch? I've heard stories that they can be made to work by whacking them with a hammer, which suggests the switch, but that's an expensive design. The data plate on this says "Model: 5 71" which suggests it might be 35 years old?

Mikey, don't replace it with a Badger 1-1/3 HP unit which I believe you are referring to at $68.00. You are just looking for trouble with moderate usage. You can get 1/2 HP for another 20 bucks. More power=less likelyhood of repair issues in general.
"plumbing supply dot com" won't even sell the Badger 1 because of problems.

I agree that at 100 bucks I wouldnt spend a lot of time on it--I'd just swap it out.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Lowe's carries the 1/3HP Badger 1 for $58. The $68 unit was a 1/2HP Badger 5. HD carries a "Badger 5 Plus", a 5/8HP unit (Google says $69.99, but HD's site doesn't mention it). The Lowe's salesman (who used to be an ISE rep) derided that, saying that Lowe's answer to the 5 Plus was a 3/4HP Badger 7 ($98).

Got the secret code from ISE, so will check on the age tonight. ISE tech support was unable to tell me how these things start, other than "turn on the switch." I'll find out after I rip the old one apart.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
FWIW I have the 1/2 HP and Im happy with it but If I had it to do over again I would buy a 5/8 or 3/4 IF it's a 100 bucks. And my usage is pretty lite.

imo a family with moderate usage should have more than 1/2HP. You wont have to worry about someone throwing something really fiberous or gristle in there---because you can get rumble and vibration if the power isn't there.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
I've got to hand it to ISE -- they've got one of the most confusing set of product designators I've seen in the recent past. Their Web site appears to have lost (or hidden) the "old" model numbers in favor of their new, quieter named line of fancy disposers. Went to HD and they had one of everything, practically, and no clue about which was what. As for the neighbors, they wanted a Badger 5, they got a Badger 5.

Mikey

Reaction score
Got a reply from ISE that they use a centrifugal switch for starting their disposers, which explains why sometimes a balky disposer can be started with a smart whack with a hammer.

The neighbor's Badger 5 turns out to be 16 years old.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think that starting a disposer with a hammer is a great way to keep kids from starting a disposer with their hands down in it. :) Or anyone else for that matter.

Mikey

Reaction score
The Badger 5 post-mortem autopsy

I picked up new Badger 5 and dropped it off last week. The man of the house decided he could replace it OK, and ultimately did. We took the old one apart yesterday to see what failed (we're both engineers by training). What a mess. The entire insides were rusted everywhere they could rust, also covered with some strange white crystalline stuff, and (of course) full of old rice and beans. The problem was, as suspected, the centrifugal starting switch, which lies at the very bottom of the unit -- it was rusted, corroded, and burnt. Howver, after cleaning the contacts with a point burnishing file, and putting it back together, it started up just fine. It's a tribute to the InSinkErator people, I guess; I would have no qualms recommending them. We gave it a decent burial.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"which explains why sometimes a balky disposer can be started with a smart whack with a hammer."

A road service "mechanic" once "fixed" the starter motor on my truck with a 3# hammer. It lasted until I replaced it a couple of days later.

Installing the Evolution in the Seattle area.

evolutioncompact_med.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bob NH said:
A road service "mechanic" once "fixed" the starter motor on my truck with a 3# hammer. It lasted until I replaced it a couple of days later.

Only a couple of days! I put off getting a new starter for almost a year by smacking it around and roll starting my old Toyota. I Was broke then, so I had no choice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My first new car was a Citroen ID19. After about 4-years, the starter would stop at a dead spot. Dropping the transmission in 4th and rocking it a little would move it enough so it would start. I sold it to a guy on post before I transferred to Korea. Always wondered how that car faired after selling it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks